Megan McCreery: From Melbourne to Machu Picchu

Name: Megan McCreery

Hometown: Indialantic, Florida

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Major: Exercise Science

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Her Campus (HC): So, tell me a little about yourself.

Megan McCreery (MM): Well I’m a junior and an exercise science major, so I’m starting to think about my future. My plans post-grad are to apply to and attend medical school. I’m thinking of applying to schools in the southeast region because I want to stay close to home. No one in my family has ever gone to medical school so it’s kind of a big deal. 

Courtesy: Megan McCreery

HC: What made you fall in love with science?

MM: In high school I enjoyed science, but I thought it was pretty challenging. When I got to FSU, it was proven how challenging it was going to be. But I really love learning about how things work in your body, how the world around us affects us and cool things that many people don’t know.

HC: You had the internship experience of a lifetime this summer. Tell us about that.

MM: I got to shadow 4 different doctors in Melbourne: a pediatrician, dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer and most surgery, a urogynocologist and a rheumatologist. Having the opportunity to shadow all of them gave me a better look at the medical field through different specialties because every day was something new.

Courtesy: Morgan McCreery

HC: What was the most rewarding experience of shadowing these doctors?

MM: While I was shadowing Dr. Terrance Cronin Jr. (dermatologist), on the third day I learned how to suture (stitch) a dummy head. The next morning a man came in to have skin cancer removed from his arm and he allowed me to make the first cut, scrape out some of the skin cancer out of him and help suture him back together. Definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. I got a real hands-on experience. It really rekindled my love for this field, even though the courses are so hard.

Courtesy: Morgan McCreery

HC: You also traveled abroad this summer, right?

MM: Yeah, through FSU Med Life I traveled to Cusco, Peru on a medical mission trip. For nine days, we would travel anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours away to small villages in the valleys of the Andes Mountains. The doctors were from Cusco and they traveled with us. We shadowed them and helped with dental clinics because the dental hygiene there is virtually nonexistent. To finish the trip, we got to go to Machu Picchu. My little sister was with me the whole trip so it was really a great journey to do together before she went off to her first year at UF.

Courtesy: Morgan McCreery

HC: Do you any plans for your future?

MM: The truth is, my first goal is to get into med school and learn as much as I can. I love to help people and I know that medicine is my passion. But as far as my future, I have no clue. I know that it will all work out if I work as hard as I can and FSU has already helped me do that.

HC: What’s a fun fact about you?

MM: My cousin is country singer Scotty McCreery. 

"We need to remember what's important in life... friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work... It doesn't matter. But work is third." -Leslie Knope
Her Campus at Florida State University.