Meet Steve Sparacino, Your Rockin’ Campus Cutie

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

Who said English majors don’t have more fun? Campus Cutie Steve Sparacino a.k.a. drummer of “The Big Orange Heads,” gives us the lowdown on what it’s like having the life of a full-time student and part-time musician. 

Name: Steve Sparacino

Year: Senior

Major: Editing, Writing, and Media/Communications minor

Hometown: Miami, FL

Relationship Status: Single

HC: So, Steve, what are some of your career goals/plans for the future?

SS: Well one of my plans for the future is to accomplish my dream of being in a traveling band that plays at local venues all over the country. My career goal is to work in digital media. I see myself working for an advertising agency or in T.V. production for ads. I’m currently interning at Cumulus Media in the marketing and promotions department. It’s a fresh start, but I’m learning a lot about the work environment and what I want to do.

HC: Very cool. I can sense you have quite the ambition. What do you do with your free time?

SS: Well I work currently at the Aloft Hotel in downtown Tallahassee, and that takes up about 20-25 hours a week. Like I said I’m working at Cumulus Media as well, and that’s about 12 hours a week. With my free time, I’m most likely doing homework for my courses, or rehearsing with my band by writing new music and performing at local venues around town.

HC: Wow, that’s a huge load. What’s it like being in a band though?

SS: It’s one of the most amazing accomplishments that I’ve driven myself to do. I love writing music with the individuals that are in the band. I grew up with our guitarist, Michael Marfisi. We had a passion and love for funk rock music. So we moved up here and formed The Big Orange Heads.

HC: So how did you get into playing the drums?

SS: It was April 18th 2007, I was 17 years old going and into my senior year of high school. It was a very random decision, because I had no idea what I was doing, but that’s why I loved it. Everything I did with the drums was new knowledge and that’s what kept me playing. My parents didn’t supply me with my drum set; I had to buy it on my own. They thought I was crazy, but I was driven to play music, to play an instrument. Ever since I was kid I’ve always listened and had an ear for music, and I really wanted to learn how to play an instrument.

HC: Talk about fate! What kind of music are The Big Orange Heads influenced by? What are some artists that are comparable to your genre of music?

SS: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, and The Black Keys mainly influence The Big Orange Heads. We have a lot of other inspirations and influences, but that list is too long. If someone were to label our genre I’d say it’s Funk, Rock, and Blues.

HC: Cool! What are some venues you have shows at a lot?

SS: Some of the venues that we have shows a lot are at Bullwinkle’s, The SideBar, Filling Station, Club ReHab, and 5th Avenue Taproom.

HC: What’s the craziest thing that has ever happened at one of your shows?

SS: The craziest thing that has ever happened at one of our shows is quite funny. It was a Friday night show at Bullwinkle’s, and it was towards the end of the night. This one guy was really wasted; I mean you could see it in his eyes. The guy kept trying to crawl and lay on the stage; finally on his third or fourth attempt we just let him lay there while we played our songs. Finally security took him off and kicked him out. Poor guy.

HC: Aww, you must’ve been cracking up! What is one of your favorite memories of your college experience thus far?

SS: One of my favorite memories of my college experience would have to be Voodoo Fest in 2009 in New Orleans. The Black Keys, Jane’s Addiction, and George Clinton. Great music was going on, I was just beginning to form this great band, and I felt so in tune with music.

HC: Sounds like a music lover’s paradise without a doubt. Do you have any regrets or wish you could fix something in your academic career? If so, what is your advice to us?

SS: I wish I could of focused more on my academics, but when life throws you conflicting matters that you know only come once in a lifetime, you have to take them and cherish them as memories.

HC: Well put. What are some qualities you look for in a partner?

SS: Some qualities that I look for in my partner is for her to be smart, confident, and of course beautiful. But not the typical beautiful, the beautiful that is within as well as the beauty on the outside.

HC: Describe to us your ideal date.

SS: My ideal date would have to be at a nice Italian Restaurant in New York City.

HC: How romantic! What do you love most about fall?

SS: I love fall because it’s great weather, not too cold, not too hot.

Alexa is in her junior year here at FSU as an Editing, Writing, and Media major with a Communications minor. She found solace in writing as a form of self-expression and aspires to pursue a career involving media in a journalistic setting. She takes pride in her studies and works hard for her grades. When she has free time, you’ll find her hoarding makeup and handbags, online shopping, on YouTube, or listening to Adam Levine’s angelic voice. She has a fascination with Ernest Hemingway, and hopes to read all of his work someday. She is excited to be working on Her Campus this year as a staff writer, as well as run the Her Campus Facebook page. Come like HC FSU on Facebook to get quick updates on articles that get published to the site.You can also find her on twitter @alexa_please and on Instagram @alexaplease! =)
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!