Meet Casey Améda: An Aspiring Artist

Name: Casey Améda

Age: 21

Major: Psychology with a minor in Family & Child Sciences

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Miami, FL

As children, many of us have dreamed of becoming artists but as we age, our goals and dreams tend to shift. However, that wasn’t the case for Casey Améda, a 21-year-old Tallahassee based visual artist who is in the process of turning her dream into a reality. The Miami native began taking art classes in the 3rd grade and states, “I discovered art and immediately fell in love with it and I have been doing it ever since. It is something that I am very passionate about and I use it as an outlet to express myself.” Améda has a love for anime style and believes that it is what initially sparked her interest in art.

With about 14 years of experience under her belt, Améda has the ability to bring ideas to life. “Once I get an idea in my mind, I let my hands do the work. I don’t overthink, I just work, and the final product is usually what I envisioned it would be, but there are times where it comes out even better than I thought it would,” she says. The visual artist prefers to draw and paint stating that she “enjoys both traditional drawing and digital drawing as well as traditional painting and digital painting.”

When asked why Améda chose to major in psychology instead of art she states that “I allowed outside influences to influence my decision.” She initially enrolled at Florida State University as a biochemistry major because she chose a path that she felt would guarantee her a career after graduation but her senior year, she realized that psychology was her calling. Améda doesn’t regret not choosing art as her major, in fact, she believes that it was the best decision she could have made for herself.

In July of 2018, Améda decided to expand her limits and is currently in the process of creating a small business. “I thought it was a good idea to start showcasing the artwork I was creating at that time since many people were asking me if they can purchase my art,” she says. In August, she sold her very first piece which was a painting of a space woman. This painting, She Who Lives Among the Stars, is heavily influenced by how celestial black women are. It (shown below) is a reflection of Améda and illustrates how phenomenal and out of this world the artist is.

For those who are in search of home décor or want to purchase new art to gift others, Améda’s Artwork has got you covered. You can submit commission requests at https://amedac29.wixsite.com/amedasartwork or direct message her on Instagram at @_tryingartist.

All pictures courtesy of Casey Améda

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.