jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mariah Carey Talks About Her Battle with Bipolar Disorder

The queen of R&B, Mariah Carey, told People magazine in an interview that she is battling with bipolar disorder. But, she did not recently get diagnosed with the disorder. In 2001, Mariah Carey got diagnosed with bipolar II disorder. Bipolar II disorder is a mental disease in which a person experiences moments of hypomanic episodes and depressive episodes. Many are wondering why she withdrew the information for 17 years!

Mariah Carey tells PEOPLE magazine, that she did not want to reveal the fact she is suffering from a mental illness because “until recently I lived in denial and isolation and in constant fear someone would expose me. It was too heavy a burden to carry and I simply couldn’t do that anymore. But “[she] sought and received treatment, put positive people around [her] and got back to doing what [she] love — writing songs and making music”. She believes that it is time to live in her truth and share her story with her fans because they deserve that much.

There are many times where Mariah Carey is the butt of everyone’s jokes but, now she is speaking out on the disorder that affects her and her ability to perform to the best of her ability. She encountered a rough couple of years that made her decide that it is time to receive treatment. In her interview with PEOPLE magazine, she states that she is on medication that is aiding her to cope with the disorder. It does not have any negative side effects and does not weigh her down in any sort of way. Plus, she finds a balance which she states is important to have. She has found ways to find that healthy balance by exercising, going to therapy, acupuncture, and spending some well-needed family time with her 6-year-old twins, Monroe and Moroccan.

Courtesy: Rolling Stone

Moreover, the pop-star decides to come forward about this disease in order to free herself from the denial she states that she is living in and because she feels inspired to come out. Because of the many celebrities that are suffering from a mental illness have come out and shared their stories with their beloved fans it was a perfect moment for Mariah Carey to share her story as well and to let people know that they are not alone. She shares her story in hopes that “we can get to a place where the stigma is lifted from people going through anything alone. It can be incredibly isolating” she states.

She explains that coming out and revealing her disorder is liberating and, now she can focus on getting back to what she loves, which is the music.  For years, she did not believe that she can have such a diagnosis but, now is accepting herself. She refuses to let it define her and control the way she lives her life. She also tells PEOPLE magazine in her interview that she wants to erase the misconceptions of bipolar disorder and create a platform for people to embrace their disorder.

Food, Traveling, and Fashion!
Her Campus at Florida State University.