Madison Marshall: President of CMA Today, Fashion Guru Tomorrow

Name: Madison Marshall

Year: Senior

Hometown: Valdosta, Georgia

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Professional Sales

Her Campus (HC): So I hear you work at Madison Social! What is that like?

Madison Marshall (MM): If I had a dollar every time someone asked me if I owned the place, I would be rich, but it never gets old. It’s one of my favorite restaurant jobs I’ve ever had because the atmosphere is so welcoming and exciting, and it couldn’t be in a better location! I believe everyone should work in a restaurant at least once in their life because it teaches you how to comfortably speak to random strangers and learn to accept that the customer is always right no matter what.

HC: When you’re not working, how do you stay busy?

MM: I am the President of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (a.k.a. CMA), the Managing Director of Clutch Magazine, a competitor for the Florida State Sales Team, a member of the Sales Club and a member of Chi Omega.

Courtesy of: Madison Berko

HC: What is CMA?

MM: CMA is a club where people interested in the fashion industry can come together and meet other students with the same interests. We have guest speakers at every meeting that share how they got their start and where they are now. We have had people from New York to California give presentations, and the members are able to network with the speakers at the end of the meetings. CMA also has a mentor/mentee program, holds its own clothing drive and goes on trips. We have gone to the Atlanta Mart and toured boutiques in Thomasville, GA in the past, and this semester we will be going on a trip to St. George!

HC: That sounds like so much fun! Why did you decide to join CMA?

MM: I’ve always been interested in fashion, and one of the old CMA presidents was in my sorority. I always heard her make announcements about the club, so I just decided to go! It was probably the best decision I ever made. I was determined to have a position in the club, so after being involved for just one semester, I applied to be Vice President. I was given the role of Assistant Publicist, but I did my best to go above and beyond the roles of my position. The next semester I was asked to be President, and here I am now!

Courtesy of: Madison Berko

HC: What are some goals you have for CMA now that you’re President?

MM: I want CMA to grow exponentially. My plan for this semester is to reach out to businesses to sponsor CMA and maybe partner with us so we are able to go on more trips and learn more about the fashion industry. I think the team of officers CMA has this semester is killer and will allow CMA to only get better and better!

HC: Where and when are the meetings?

MM: We meet every other Wednesday in the Sandels Building room 345.

HC: Why should everyone come to the next CMA meeting on September 21st at 7 p.m.?

MM: Sean Bunner, the Vice President of New Business Development for HSN, is flying down from New York to speak! He will be giving us behind the scenes insight about HSN and answering questions anyone has for him. We also have a special surprise guest with him that I can’t spoil, so everyone has to come see for themselves.

HC: Let’s talk about your summer vacation! Where did you do your internship?

MM: This summer I interned for Tom James Company, which is a custom clothing company, in New York City. It’s been around for 50 years and is the largest producer for custom clothes in the nation.

HC: What did you learn while interning at Tom James Company?

MM: The main thing I learned is patience. I worked with the most successful businessmen in Manhattan, and sometimes I had to deal with things not going as planned. I also learned that I love coffee. The city truly never sleeps, so I had to make sure I had enough energy to never miss a thing.

HC: After spending the summer living in the city, what do you miss most?

MM: I don’t even know where to begin. In the city, everything is monetarily available. I was able to do anything I wanted as long as I could afford it, and I definitely miss the adventure aspect. The thing I miss the most though is the people I met. It’s hard to make close friends and then end up 1,000 miles away.

HC: Now that you’ve gotten a taste of the corporate world, what would you say is your five-year plan?

MM: In five years I will be 27, so I hope to be settled into my career by then. I have no idea what I will be doing or where I will be working, so it’s hard to have an exact plan at the moment. The main thing I want to do at that point is to be successful enough to have all my college loans paid by then.

Courtesy of: Madison Berko

HC: Your outfit is so cute in these photos! Where is your favorite place to shop in Tallahassee?

MM: Cole Couture! My favorite brand is Show Me Your Mumu, and they are the only store that carries it.

HC: Which fall trends are you most excited to wear?

MM: I am obsessed with suede. I love that the spaghetti strap suede dress is coming back into style. It makes me think of the movie My Date with the President’s Daughter. Also I love leather! I just bought my first leather skirt this week for the season and I cannot wait to wear it. Can we take a moment for blue lipstick too? I have two different shades from Mac, but we will see how much they actually get worn. Regardless if I can pull it off or not, I am excited for the blue lip.

HC: What would you say is your go-to beauty product?

MM: Champagne Pop by Jaclyn Hill from Becca Cosmetics! Jaclyn is my idol. I watch her snapchat stories and YouTube videos religiously, so the moment she came out with Champagne Pop, I immediately bought it. Even if I’m wearing no makeup at all, I always put on her highlighter. It truly makes me feel like I’m glowing, so I recommend everyone to get it.

HC: Other than Jaclyn Hill, what are three things you cannot live without?

MM: Coffee, lipstick, and my cell phone. Coffee gets my day started, and I usually make a Starbucks run midday too. I own 23 Mac lipsticks, so I always have something on! My cell phone keeps me on track because that’s where I have my calendar, answer all my emails and catch up on my social media.

Hello! I am a junior studying retail merchandising and product development with a minor in business.
Her Campus at Florida State University.