Life > Experiences

5 Dessert Recipes You Have to Make This Christmas

The holiday season is upon us! Whether you’re celebrating with family, friends, or even just yourself, desserts are essential to the festivities. One of my favorite things to do around this time of year is baking both old and new recipes. Some of my best Christmas memories throughout the years are all the baking and food preparations done on Christmas Eve. The women in my family love to say that calories don’t count during the holidays, and they couldn’t be more right! If you’re like me and want to celebrate Christmas through the tradition of baking, here are some recipes to try this year. 

1. Christmas Crack

An absolute staple in my household is Christmas Crack. It’s super simple to make, and the result is a delicious caramel and chocolate bark. With just saltine crackers, an easy homemade caramel, and chocolate on top, your guests will not be able to stop eating this addictive dessert, hence the name.

Another thing I love about this recipe is its versatility with the endless options of what can be added on top. From crushed peppermints, sprinkles, and toasted nuts to your family’s favorite candy, it can always be stepped up! This one is super simple and so yummy; I definitely recommend making it this year. 

2. Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Although these aren’t specifically for Christmas, cookies are a staple for the holidays, and these would be perfect to bring to your get-together. Double chocolate cookies rolled in powdered sugar for extra sweetness will surely be a hit with your loved ones. Every time I’ve made these in the past, they were gone so fast! To make them more festive, use red or green food dye in the powdered sugar before rolling the cookies in it. 

3. Caramel Pumpkin Pie

A fun spin on a holiday classic is this Caramel Pumpkin Pie. Make this staple dish even better by adding a layer of caramel along the bottom of the pie crust, a sure way to wow your guests. The flavors go together so well, with the saltiness of the caramel balancing out the sweetness. Adding ganache, apple cider, and streusel alongside the nostalgic and cozy pumpkin flavors is a great way to take something classic and make it extravagant. It even earned a 10/10 rating from this Instagram user who shared it!

4. Popcorn Balls

Popcorn balls are another holiday classic linked to so many fond childhood memories of mine. I haven’t had them in a couple of years. As I wrote this article, I remembered the first time I made Christmas desserts with my mom, and these were on the menu. Delicious and nostalgic for so many, popcorn balls are a sweet treat that are sure to be eaten, especially if you have younger kids in the family. 

5. Brown Butter Spiced Citrus Cookies 

Another cookie recipe, of course! I actually made this recipe for the first time for Thanksgiving this year, and my family loved it! With so many holiday flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves combined with brown butter and citrus, these cookies are just an explosion of flavor in the best way. This is another recipe that can be made even more festive with food dye and sprinkles and is perfect for the dessert table this year.

All these treats can, of course, be made year-round. But since the holidays are a time for celebration and glorious, limitless indulgence of sweets, they’re great for this time of year. Holiday feasts and desserts are a great way to bring smiles when you’re around the people you love. I truly believe these recipes are a great addition to every family’s celebrations. Happy holidays to all! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Sophie Roguski is a Junior at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs, with a minor in Hospitality Management. She loves romcoms, celebrity gossip, and has a strong desire to travel more.