Wellness

5 Must-Buy Trader Joe’s Foods for College Students

As a broke college student with little to no cooking ability, my favorite grocery store is Trader Joe’s. Once you get past the awfully laid-out parking lot, it is the grocery store of all grocery stores. Trader Joe’s offers a wide range of foods, and it’s only their brand that takes out the stress of decision-making (perfect for Libras like myself). Not only that, but they pride themselves on having reasonably priced goods. Tallahassee is lucky enough to have a location approximately 15 minutes north of the FSU campus. While it’s a bit of a hike to get out there, it’s worth it. Here are my absolute must-buys from Trader Joe’s.

Tarragon Chicken Salad Wrap

As a certified picky eater, the tarragon chicken salad wrap is an absolute favorite of mine. Not only do I love that it saves me 15 minutes of prep time, but it’s also so tasty. The flavors are mild but perfect. This wrap is perfect for my picky people, but Trader Joe’s has a wide variety of pre-made salads and wraps for those who are a little more adventurous than I am. I’d recommend trying a Trader Joe’s wrap to anyone.

Mochi

Trader Joe’s has the best mochi I’ve ever tried. You can find mochi ice cream at most major retailers these days, but none of them quite stack up to this. The dough is so soft and flavorful, and the ice cream itself is smooth and delicious. They have some seasonal flavors that definitely stand out from the rest, like my personal favorite, caramel apple. However, my favorite year-round flavor is strawberry.

“Everything but the Bagel” Seasoning

One thing you’ll see sprinkled throughout the entirety of any Trader Joe’s is their “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning. Not only do they sell the seasoning by itself, but they also sell seemingly endless foods to season with it. This seasoning is addictive; I put it on literally everything. It takes all of my snacks to the next level. My favorite meal to make with it is avocado toast; it definitely amps up the flavor.

Any of the Frozen Meals

One thing that Trader Joe’s is known for is their amazing frozen food. I have too hard of a time coming up with my favorite, so here I’m telling you to buy any of them. They are so easy to prepare and hit differently than frozen meals anywhere else. They have a wide variety of meals, from international foods to breakfast items. It’s all delicious and so affordable. The Trader Joe’s frozen food section is my Roman Empire.

Scandinavian Swimmers

These gummies are essentially just a knockoff of Swedish Fish, but they’re exponentially better. They come in four different flavors and have a sour version as well. They’re amazing and my favorite candy of all time. I once heard them described “like Mike and Ike’s and Swedish Fish had a baby,” and I’d say that’s pretty accurate. Warning: You may eat a whole bag in one sitting because they are just that good.

While this is not an exhaustive list of all the amazing things Trader Joe’s has to offer, these are a few of my favorites. I highly recommend perusing the aisles of the Tallahassee Trader Joe’s; I’m sure you’ll find some hidden gems. I’ve never had bad food from Trader Joe’s; it’s all just so scrumptious. When you make it out there, definitely keep an eye out for these tasty treats!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

I'm from Minnesota, and am a Sophomore Editing Writing and Media major at FSU.