Collage of Hannah Meloche in a Cream Suit
Photo by Gabby Scianna
Career

Life Behind the Camera With Gabby Scianna

At just 22 years of age, Gabby Scianna has found her lifelong passion in photography. She has harnessed an incredible gift in capturing the raw but beautiful form of all her clients. As a graduating senior at Ringling College of Art and Design, she has been published by Photographer’s Forum Magazine and PhotoVogue Italia. Her work is also featured on the Instagram accounts of Hannah Meloche, Luca Whitaker and Haley Pham. 

Not only does she inspire young artists to follow their dreams, but she also spreads emphasis on the power of self-love. Between her contagious self-confidence and exquisite talent, she is a force to be reckoned with and certainly someone to keep an eye out for in the future. 

Here is my sneak peek of what life is like behind the camera for Gabby Scianna!

Gabby Scianna in a black dress with grey background
Photo by Gabby Scianna

Her Campus (HC): When did you know you wanted to pursue photography as a career?

Gabby Scianna (GS): I didn’t discover my love for photography until around my sophomore and junior year of high school. I actually was really lost in what I wanted to do with my life. Everyone wanted to do such normalized successful things like becoming doctors. I struggled a lot in school, so I knew that path was not for me. During that time in my life, I was obsessed with Pinterest and Tumblr. At one point, I started thinking, “Maybe I could take photos like that.” So, I took the camera my mom used for holidays and went out with a few friends to take pictures. It basically took off from there! When I did my first photoshoot, the pictures definitely came out terrible. But it was the first time I really felt excited about something. 

HC: What has been your biggest challenge so far regarding photography?

GS: I don’t consider myself a competitive person when it comes to other people, but I am very competitive against myself. I become very frustrated when I don’t pick up certain skills as fast as I expected. Also, social media honestly makes it extremely difficult not to compare myself to others. Many photographers have millions of followers, and since I’m in the niche of influencers, I think it is really easy to lose yourself in all the comparisons. I feel like that is my biggest struggle, not being confident in my ability. 

Blonde girl in a pink cowgirl hat
Photo by Gabby Scianna
HC: Speaking of influencers, I know you have photographed people like Luca Whitaker, Hannah Meloche and Haley Pham. How did you become connected with them, and what was it like?

GS: Before I even met them, I watched a lot of their YouTubes when I was in high school. I remember one day during freshman year of college; I was sitting in my dorm watching one of Luca’s videos and realized she lived close by. So, I sent her a DM explaining how I was a photographer in the area that would love to shoot with her. After that, we had our first shoot together. It was super nice to connect with someone who was also a passionate creator. We became more like friends rather than business partners. She is actually the reason I was able to connect with Hannah. I noticed Hannah was in Florida on vacation and asked Luca if she would send her my information if she needed a photographer. When we met up, we clicked instantly. I would still say she is one of my close friends. Overall, it is just really cool to create with people who have similar interests. Meeting people who are just as invested in something as you are is really special. 

Gabby Scianna and Hannah Meloche at Universal Studios
Photo by Gabby Scianna
Selfie of Gabby Scianna, Hannah Meloche and Haley Pham in a car
Photo by Gabby Scianna

HC: What has been your favorite photoshoot or project so far?

GS: I would say I have quite a few favorites. I did a mock Gucci shoot last year, which I would definitely have to say is one of my favorite projects. I am currently working on my thesis, which is called All Dressed Up For No One. Working on a solid project like that with an actual story behind it has been really exciting. It is definitely challenging and out of my comfort zone, but I am super pleased with the images so far. 

Woman with jewels on her head and crouching in front of a light
Photo by Gabby Scianna

Woman with jewels on her head and wearing black casting a shadow when in front of a light
Photo by Gabby Scianna

HC: What are your future goals in your photography career?

GS: At the moment, I am hoping to get an internship with Urban Outfitters. I would be in Philadelphia for 10 weeks in their studio, which would be a great experience. My main goal, though, is to shoot covers for magazines like Vogue and Glamour. Working with music artists for Billboard would be wonderful too. I also want to continue working with public figures within my age group. I enjoy capturing influencers being their true selves and being there through the process of them moving up in the world. 

HC: What advice do you have for aspiring photographers?

GS: I always tell people never to stop shooting. I know it can be difficult in the beginning, especially when your work is not getting noticed or you are not happy with what you are creating. The only way to improve and better yourself is by pushing through and creating more content. The moment you stop, you can lose that progress. Obviously, you should take breaks when you are not inspired. However, inspiration can always hit when you are just goofing around taking pictures with your friends. There is always going to be an opportunity to throw everything away. There’ve been multiple times where I almost gave up photography, especially when I first started. When I first began my photography journey in high school, a lot of people didn’t take me seriously. This brings me to my next tip: do not let other people’s opinions discourage you. Keep shooting and continue reaching out to people. Literally, reach out to whoever you want because you never know who is going to answer. Other than that, just be yourself because you really are the only person who can make your dreams a reality. 

Hannah and Ella Meloche sitting next to road
Photo by Gabby Scianna
Hannah Meloche in a Jeep wearing sunglasses
Photo by Gabby Scianna

If you would like to follow along in Gabby’s journey into the editorial world, check out her Instagram!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Olivia Moreland is currently studying Psychology and Anthropology at Florida State University. In her spare time, you can find her painting, hiking, and riding horses. She also enjoys photography and cooking delicious vegetarian meals.