Keeping Myself Sane During Quarantine with These Three Recipes

The horrific COVID-19 pandemic has thrown everyone’s lives off track. Some have lost their jobs, seniors in both high school and college will miss out on major rites of passage, and people are experiencing fear and panic worldwide. The majority of the world has established curfews, closed institutions, and adjusted business hours in a push for everyone to self-quarantine. Currently, quarantining is the most effective way to reduce the spreading of the virus, especially considering there is no current vaccine for the virus.

While self-quarantine has been extremely difficult for some, and this entire pandemic has caught uproar in all of our lives, we must stay positive during this time and remember that it’s better to be safe than sorry. We must remain optimistic during this time and look at quarantining in a positive light so that we keep ourselves sane. Look at it as a time to unwind from the real world. You can catch up on old shows, spend time with friends, family, or pets, and even pick up a new hobby!

During my time in self-quarantine, I’ll be doing home workouts and yoga sessions. I’ve also picked up gardening again (hopefully things go better than last time), and I’ve even started cooking! Before the Coronavirus invaded our lives, my academic, extracurricular and work schedules didn’t permit me to cook as often as I would have liked. With the extra time quarantining has provided, it is no surprise the foodie in me wants to dedicate that time to try some new food. Here are some recipes I have tried so far while in quarantine; you can try them too! 

Jason Briscoe
Jason Briscoe / Unsplash

Jamaican Chicken Soup

With the Coronavirus going around, I’ve been obsessed with making sure my quarantine buddies and I are staying safe and building up our immune systems. After experiencing a slightly scratchy throat one morning and completely freaking out, I decided I would make some soup. The virus can’t live in the heat, and therefore consuming hot liquids is recommended, so I knew the soup would be the perfect meal. With my Jamaican background, it was only right that I attempt to make some authentic Jamaican Chicken Soup. Safe to say, it came out awesome, and my quarantine pals loved the hearty comfort meal. Here’s the recipe I used to wow them! 

Jamaican White Rum Cold Remedy Shot

After sharing in my family group chat the news about my itchy throat, my parents naturally freaked out with me and began throwing old Jamaican remedies at me to soothe my sore throat. They told me to “drink some hot tea” and a “rub tiger balm or Vick’s Vapor Rub on your throat,” but the tip that stood out most to me was to take a shot of rum (only if you’re 21 and older of course). Jamaican white rum contains 60% alcohol, about the same amount of alcohol as hand sanitizer. If alcohol kills the germs on my hands, it will also kill whatever was trying to brew in my throat, right? I’m no scientist, but my parents said it would help, and a little quarantine shot never hurt anybody. To concoct the virus killing remedy, you need one shot of Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum, a tablespoon of raw organic strained honey, and a lime wedge. Pour a shot of white rum, mix in the honey and squeeze the lime wedge into the mixture. Lastly, add some of the pulp from the lime wedge and stir until even. There you have your virus killing shot! My throat actually did feel better after this. 

Shrimp Tacos

Fusiontempura And Shrimp Tacos
Tiffany Meh / Spoon
The saddest day of quarantine was definitely the first Tuesday. It pained me to know I couldn’t partake in my favorite weekly tradition—Taco Tuesday. I decided to never let that happen again! I’m bringing Taco Tuesday to my house each week! Tacos are my favorite because they’re so versatile! You can have chicken tacos, carnitas, ground beef, fish, el pastor, the options are endless! I kicked my first Taco Tuesday off with some shrimp tacos! Honestly, I’ve made shrimp tacos before, but this recipe from Karrueche and Kylie helped improve my technique. Frying the tortilla was a game-changer for me! This is an easy meal you’ll definitely enjoy! 

I hope you all can try out these recipes and even find some new ones you think you will enjoy! I’ve already started compiling a list of foods I want to take a chance on making next week. With all the bread gone from grocery stores, I’m kind of plotting on making my own; we’ll see! Be sure to remain in good spirits during this difficult time. Remember to think about the health of others in addition to your own; it’s bigger than just us! Stay safe and healthy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Arielle Lawson is a Senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Finance and a minor in Women's Studies. Her passions include reading, serving the surrounding community, and her Yorkie-Poo, Indygo. She aspires to change the current narrative of Women in society through her writing, service, and future profession in Higher Education.
Her Campus at Florida State University.