Isabella Cring Cover Image
Isabella Cring Cover Image
Photo by Isabella Cring
Career

Keep It Locked: A Talk With News Director Isabella Cring

This week I talked with WVFS Tallahassee News Director: Isabella Cring. A sociology and digital media production double major at Florida State, Isabella artfully balances school and her passion for working at the on-campus radio station. The radio station is lovingly referred to as “V89” by those who work there, in reference to the FM radio station they broadcast to.

HerCampus (HC): Describe your roles at WVFS Tallahassee (V89).

Isabella Cring (IC): The radio station is made up of many departments: News, Sports, Public Relations, Production and Announcing. I’m the News Director — this means I oversee the training of new anchors and produce our monthly news magazine, Vox Populi. I’m also a DJ, but that’s more for fun.

Isabella Cring Body Image 1
Photo by Isabella Cring

HC: How did you get involved with V89? What first drew you to the station?

IC: In freshman year, I hadn’t found my niche — my people. A friend of mine invited me to the V89 cattle call and suggested news as a good starting department! I got really into it. I started picking up extra shifts and doing Special Reports. Eventually, I got promoted to Vox Populi Director, and now I’m the Director of the whole department! I got a lot of experience editing the Vox Populi show and ended up making digital media production my second major. 

HC: What is Vox Populi, and what is your personal favorite Vox piece?

IC: Vox Populi is essentially a variety podcast, most similar to “This American Life”. We vote on a theme every month and write five to ten-minute articles about something relating to the theme. One month, the theme was “Bars”, so we had pieces ranging from rap icons to the Prison Industrial Complex. You never know what people are going to run with. My favorite piece I’ve ever produced was made by the Chief Anchor in the News Department, Richard Riley. For the theme “Growth,” He did a deep dive on mushrooms — it’s so funny and informative! 

HC: What is your favorite thing about working at V89?

IC: I love how passionate the people are about the station. Everyone at V89 LOVES V89. It’s a special place for all of us “former” nerds and weirdos.

Isabella Cring Body Photo 2
Photo by Isabella Cring

HC: How has the transition to remote learning affected your roles at the station?

IC: Since the transition to remote learning, the station has been mostly empty. The music is still on the air, but now DJ’s send in their sets remotely to be played on automation. The Sports department meets weekly in separate rooms to record their talk show! The departments still have meetings, only over Discord instead of in person. We’re all still working together to keep this magic on the air.

HC: How will you apply the skills learned at WVFS to your future career?

IC: I found what I want to do in life because I started working at WVFS. I had no idea I enjoyed editing before, and now I have two years of production experience to kickstart my career. I learned how to work with people to get the best recording, how to manage a team, and most of all, how to work with a deadline. With Vox Populi, the show goes on at 9 p.m. Wednesday, whether you’re ready or not! I’ve learned so much from V89 and I hope that it can stay around to teach all the future confused nerds just like me.

To listen to WVFS Tallahassee at any time of day, visit their 24/7 online broadcast here or listen anytime at 89.7 FM in the Tallahassee area!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Lover of indie music, travelling, and my two cats Follow me on all of my adventures! Instagram: @underscorelili