Inspiring Psychologist Discusses Finals and Study Tips

Name: Nancy Loza

Year: Senior

Age: 23

Major: Psychology

Minor: Criminology

Hometown: Hialeah, FL

Relationship Status: Taken

Courtesy: Nancy Loza

With finals this week, Nancy Loza shares the tips and motivation you need to hear to help you power through this hectic time!

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you to study Psychology?

Nancy Loza (NL): Psychology is one of the more recent sciences to have emerged, and I enjoy being able to study a subject where areas continue to be a mystery and try to find answers to unanswered questions. I am currently working at a psychiatric hospital, and I have learned that there are many improvements that have to be made in the field.

Also, I feel the need to help individuals that behave in ways that aren’t usual in society, and try to find reasons or an explanation for their differences. I think it’s important that we learn to accept these people as human beings instead of labeling them as inferior.

I have a preference to study people with abnormal mental illnesses or people who are considered outcasts in society because of their behaviors or emotions. I believe that the first years of life are the most important in establishing how a person matures as an adult. We live in a very individualistic culture when in reality people need each other for support and survival.

HC: Where do you hope to see yourself in that field in the future?

NL: After graduating this December with my bachelor’s, I plan to apply and attend graduate school within the next year and earn my Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. I would like to work, speak, and build relationships with many different people on a daily basis.

HC: Since your work with mental health, what’s your advice for other students who are feeling stressed and depressed during finals week?

NL: First and foremost, we all know finals week can easily become overwhelming. If the chance is given, or for future semesters, plan accordingly. This semester I had the idea of using a blank calendar and writing all my finals in it along with what days I should be studying for each final. That way you give yourself sufficient time and make sure you do not forget about any exams. Also, I included my employment hours in my calendar to make sure they did not interfere with any exams or make any adjustments with work if necessary. This kind of planning alleviates some of the stress finals come with.

In reference to feelings of depression, you need to think and feel more positive towards the next couple of days. To help yourself think positive, tell yourself that you’re capable of passing your exams, remind yourself of the goals you hope to achieve, and know that it’ll be over before you know it.

Try to stay away from ideas such as “I can’t do this, I don’t have time” or “this is too hard.” If you feel like you need extra help, email some of your classmates and most likely there will be someone willing to help. Remember we are all in this together. To feel positive remember to take care of your body by eating well, exercising, and sleeping. If you feel great, you will do great!

Courtesy: Nancy Loza

HC: Do you have a motto for yourself when life gets too tough for you?

NL: I constantly tell my patients, “If you are currently at your lowest point in life or feel that way, it can only get better from here.”

HC: Finals often bring the hungry munchies with staying up for all-nighters. Are there any snacks that are your go-to during this dreaded week?

NL: I love fruits because they don’t require preparation and are healthy. I usually eat bananas, grapes, or apples. Plus, apples tend to have similar effects to coffee!

HC: Breaks are always healthy to take while studying for exams. What’s a good study break that you usually like to take?

NL: My workout time is usually my study break. It can range anywhere from one to two hours. It is a time where I can listen to some music and clear my head from all the overthinking I’ve done. When I am exercising, I put all my focus on where I am and what I am currently doing. After my workouts and shower, I usually feel energized and ready to hit the books!

HC: Besides studying, what’s your favorite thing to do on your down time? Any favorite places or things to do in Tallahassee?

NL: I have spent most of my down time attending our FSU football games considering it’s my last semester as a student. It has been a fun run and I hope some of our top players get recognized for their achievements. I also enjoy going to brunch on the weekends since during the week breakfast is not a long-lasting meal. I also enjoy watching movies on a regular basis, including the new Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, which I absolutely loved. 

HC: Ready for a cheesy question? You’re stuck on an island and you can only bring two things with you…what do you take with you and why?

NL: I would take a special person in my life, preferably my boyfriend, to stay sane and have conversations with. Plus as previously mentioned, people need each other for survival and support. The next thing I would take is something sharp, like a machete, to be able to defend myself from wildlife, hunt and get crafty with my surroundings.

Courtesy: Nancy Loza

Amanda loves to write creatively on her spare time. When she isn't studying for her double major in both Psychology and Editing, Writing, and Media, Amanda is in the kitchen cooking up some dinner or baking sweet treats. She is a kid at heart and will never be too old for anything Disney. Amanda aspires to become a producer and writer for future video games.
Her Campus at Florida State University.