Name: I’yanna Nicole Barker

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology with a minor in Spanish

Age: 20

Hometown: Sunrise, Florida

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): I know you spent your summer studying abroad in Costa Rica, tell me about it?

I’yanna Barker (IB): It was a really cool experience because I got to live with a host family and was able to practice my Spanish since they only spoke Spanish. Every weekend I got to go to a different city, so I got to travel a lot. I thought it was cool to travel to a different country where I got to experience someone else’s culture.

HC: How long were you in Costa Rica for and how has this trip changed you?

IB: I was in Costa Rica for about a month. I would say that this trip has made me more well-rounded and open to new adventures and experiences.

HC: What are you involved in on Campus?

IB: I am a member of the 69th Student Senate here at Florida State and I am also a newly selected Orientation Leader.

HC: How long have you been a member of the Student Senate and what do you do?

IB: I have been a member of the 69th Student Senate since the fall of 2016. I serve as a member of the student body who seeks to improve the college experience of my fellow constituents.

HC: I want to congratulate you on becoming an Orientation Leader! Can you tell us what the process of applying and interviewing was like?

IB: There was an information session that you had to attend, then there was a group interview that you had to go through in order to get an individual interview. The interview process was very competitive and only 40 people were chosen to become Orientation Leaders.

HC: What are you most looking forward to as an Orientation Leader?

IB: I’m looking forward to meeting incoming students and sharing my FSU experience with them. I want to help them find their niche here at Florida State as they start the next chapter of their lives.

HC: What advice do you have for incoming college students?

IB: I would tell incoming college students to keep an open mind because there are a lot of experiences that I thought weren’t for me until I stepped out of my comfort zone.

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.