books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

I Took All Online Classes & Here’s How It Went

I started my fall, sophomore semester in 2018, and I was nervous! I had enrolled in two online courses and this would be my first experience with them at Florida State. I never enjoyed the experience with taking college courses online in high school, just because it lacks that one-on-one experience. Fast-forward to the end of the semester, and I felt like I potentially found a better way of learning. I had an overall positive experience, so when it came time to enroll in spring, I opted to take a majority of online courses. Eventually, this led to me taking ALL online courses in the fall of 2019.

The first couple weeks of fall semester was a dream. I was able to sleep in as my roommates were struggling to make their 8 & 9 a.m. classes. I wore loungewear all day and was able to work in the comfort of my own apartment. Watching episodes of The Office in between lecture videos while eating hummus was a daily routine. Learning at my own pace was something that worked for me. However, as the semester started to pick up, the course load did the same. I also began getting involved in other activities that started taking a large part of my time. I had to worry about all this while working a part-time job as well. Eventually, my routine became diluted, as I was forgetting deadlines and rushing on assignments that required time. I also noticed that I spent significantly more money on textbooks and other related programs with my online courses. Mid-semester, I was also made aware that taking courses online was massively more expensive than the in-person classes, which felt kind of backwards to me. I was confused by this since I was practically teaching myself for some of the classes I was taking. I saw another student have a similar complaint online and was relieved that I wasn’t the only one who thought this way. Taking all online courses also affected me in a way I never saw coming.

Mid fall semester, I began to feel lonely. The only times I had any social interactions were with my roommates when we found time in our busy schedules, or when I saw my SO later in the afternoon and night. I also noticed that I enjoyed going to work more than I previously had because this was another way for me to socialize. I have always been a very social person, and my progress reports in elementary school tended to have teachers noting that I sometimes talked too much. So, being isolated for a whole semester was a huge shift for me and began to affect my overall happiness. Quickly, I began developing FOMO. I was now missing out on the typical college campus experiences that I dreamed of in high school. I never had an excuse to go on campus unless it was for a club meeting held at night where the school can resemble a ghost town sometimes. I missed being out absorbing the sun while I admired Landis Green between classes. At that point, I just wanted fall semester to end as quickly as possible. It finally came time to enroll for spring and I promptly chose all in-person classes.

Courtesy: Vanessa Valles

Being a few weeks into the spring semester, I have noticed a drastic change in my overall mood as I started readjusting to taking in-person classes. I find myself starting to enjoy waking up early as opposed to sleeping in. I find that I am most productive when I get an early start to my day. I ensure to interact in class and luckily have courses with small class sizes, allowing me to have the one-on-one learning with my professors when I need it. I take in the fresh air and always think about how lucky I am to go to such a beautiful school; I mean you just can’t beat the Landis view in between classes. Although it has not been a fully smooth transition, I am thankful for my new schedule. In the future, I might opt to take an online course here and there, but for right now I am perfectly happy writing this while taking in the views of Landis.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing and Media major at FSU with a minor in business. Lover of plants, home decor, soccer, and thrifting!
Her Campus at Florida State University.