Throughout high school and college, I’ve bounced around with different fad diets that I never saw serious fast results from. I was stuck in this constant cycle of going into a diet with such high expectations and sticking to it but then getting very discouraged because I was not seeing fast enough results or the results that I necessarily wanted. I also never felt confident in a diet and actually enjoyed all the food that I was eating. I just wanted to find what worked for me, and I felt like I was never going to find that. But then, I came across the “Keto Diet,” and I fell in love with the process of it, the food options and most importantly, the results that I saw.

The Keto Diet

Before I go into my experience with the keto diet, let me first explain it and how it works with your body. The Keto Diet, “Ketogenic,” is a term for a low-carb diet. The idea is for you to obtain more calories from proteins and fats and less from carbohydrates. The basis is to cut back on the carbs that are easy to digest containing sugar, soda, pastries and bread. By drastically reducing your carb count, your body will start to undergo Ketosis. This is a metabolic state in which your body uses fat for fuel rather than carbs. In order for your body to fall into Ketosis, nutritionists recommend that you consume only between 20 and 30 net carbs per day. Because your body is no longer burning carbohydrates for fuel, your body begins to burn fat. Turning your body into a literal fat-burning machine.

How I Started

When I first heard of the keto diet, I was very unsure of it. I did not know how I felt about having a diet that consisted of such a high fat count. I did not know how my body would react, and I was very nervous about how all of the grease and fat from the food would affect my skin as far as my acne. Not to mention, I was also someone who loved chips, bread and crackers, and all things carbs. I did a lot of research and spent hours reading the stories of other people who had gone through the diet process. What really sold me was seeing how well the diet works for others. Not only that, but my mom and I decided that we would do it together. We were able to bond by looking for fun recipes and holding each other accountable for keeping up with the diet and trusting the process.

What I Did And How It Went

When I first started, I was really into the new diet. Being able to have someone to keep me accountable and go grocery shopping with was something that I enjoyed the most. I focused on getting meats and cheeses that I liked the most, like pepperoni, salami, mozzarella and American cheese. I loaded up on all the produce, like broccoli, avocado, asparagus, blueberries, berries and other low carb/sugary produce. As the days went on, I began to get very bored of the same foods over and over again. It all seemed very repetitive. So, I went deep into Pinterest and searched for recipes titled: “low carb snacks,” “low carbs deserts” and “low carb smoothies.” This is something that I recommend doing before starting a diet. After finding some good meals, I got even more into the diet than I was before. I found some of my favorite recipes were simple, and I was able to do them in less than 30 minutes.

When I Moved To College

Tofu salad
Photo by Anh Nguyen from Unsplash

When I moved to college, I knew that it was going to be very hard to keep this diet up because I was not going to have a kitchen, and I was going to be on a meal plan. I was also a little nervous because I was not going to have my mom to hold me accountable. But in the end, I was determined to stay on the diet and hold myself accountable. I worked hard before I left home to find ways to stay in ketosis by eating at a cafeteria. I hopped back on Pinterest and searched “ways to stay keto in the cafeteria.” Obviously, there were basic staples: meats, veggies, salads and sugar free drinks. I found myself eating a lot of salads in the evening and eggs and bacon in the morning. I would focus on veggies and nuts and berries in the afternoon and when I was craving a midday snack. Even though I really do love this diet, I will say that just like every other diet, it is a whole lot easier to maintain a diet when you have access to a full kitchen.

In the end, I felt like I saw a great number of results by doing this diet. I was able to find some really appetizing recipes, stay full throughout the day and lose a few pounds along the way. I understand that there are people out there that have gone back and forth between different fad diets, just like me. And just because this diet worked for me doesn’t mean it will work for everyone. I am just so happy with the results that I saw with this diet. I would recommend it to everyone who is interested in a new diet.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest

Hello, My name is Holly and I am a freshman at Florida State University. I love all things fashion, music, coffee, fitness, health, and of course writing. I find that writing allows me to escape from all things happening around me. Writing is a way for me to connect with myself at the end of a busy day. It also allows me a way of getting all my feelings out and releases all the bad energy that I have gathered throughout the day.
Her Campus at Florida State University.