How She Got There: Laura Hacker, ELLE Intern

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Career Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from what NOT to put on your resume to a Q&A with an RMPD major currently interning at ELLE magazine in NYC. This week definitely won’t be filled with the cliché career advice you’re always hearing (take for instance there’s even a piece on how to deal with rejection). Don’t miss out! 

Name: Laura Hacker 

Year: Senior 

Major: Retail Merchandising & Product Development

Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida

Courtesy: Laura Hacker

Her Campus (HC): How did you hear about the ELLE internship and what was the application process like?

Laura Hacker (LH): I started interning in New York City the summer after my sophomore year of college and through those connections, I was referred to the internship at ELLE Magazine. A huge part of this industry is about who you know, and I have been lucky enough to meet some really great people.

HC: What was your first day at ELLE like?

LH: My first day was hectic! I started on a busy week, when the June issue was closing, so there was plenty to do. I was thrown into the madness and learned along the way! It’s a fast paced environment with strict deadlines so everything is always go go go.

HC: You’re living in NYC right now. What’s that like? Was it something that you wanted to do, like a bonus of the internship, or was it intimidating?

LH: I cant stop eating… NYC is detrimental to both my weight and my wallet but the experience of living here is unlike any other. I’ve always wanted to live in the city and that was a huge part of my decision to start interning in NYC two years ago. I didn’t necessarily know what I wanted to do, but I knew the kind of environment I wanted to be in and NYC is a perfect fit.

Courtesy: Laura Hacker

HC: What are your day-to-day responsibilities?

LH: My main responsibilities include sample trafficking (checking in and out samples), setting up and organizing the racks in the fashion closet, communicating with a variety of designer showrooms and PR firms, packing up for photo shoots and anything else the Fashion Assistant or Market Editor might need.

HC: What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced at ELLE and how did you overcome it?

LH: My biggest challenge has probably been learning how to stay on top of multiple tasks at once. There are days where you are constantly on the move and it can be easy to forget what you did that morning. It’s so important to dedicate your full attention to each task and carefully double check everything over before moving on to something else. Caffeine has largely contributed to my multi-tasking success and I also think training yourself to always be aware can make for a more pro-active work method.

Courtesy: Laura Hacker

HC: Since you’re interning at a fashion magazine, what are your favorite trends at the moment?

LH: Definitely the Levi’s 501 jeans, oriental-print bomber jackets, off the shoulder tops and denim culottes! It’s really cool to work with such a wide variety of designers and brands and get exposure to upcoming trends.

HC: What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow in your footsteps?

LH: When it comes to internships, starting early is key. The more experience you have, the easier it is to figure out what you are good at, what you like and what you don’t like. Research companies and find the people that have your dream job and reach out to them. Never be afraid to email or send a LinkedIn message because you never know where it could take you. My first internship opportunity started with a Facebook message!

HC: Just for fun, how accurate is The Devil Wears Prada?

LH: I have not yet been asked to hunt down the unpublished Harry Potter manuscript and unfortunately no one has offered to give me a complete makeover, so I would have to side with very inaccurate. Although the internship can be stressful, the work environment is fun and positive. There might be some publications that emulate aspects of the movie, but ELLE is not one of them! 

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.