How I Came to Terms With Not Being Accepted Into My Dream Major

By the look of this title, you probably think that I’m going to be sharing a sob story. You’re partially correct (haha). So I didn’t get into my life-long desired major. After two years of stressing out and trying to find internships, it just didn’t happen. My GPA wasn’t good enough and my experience was completely disregarded. I was furious and in tears the day that I received the email. I went to see what happened, talked to someone in charge and turned in my appeal letter the next week and nothing changed.

At first, I didn’t know what to do with my life. Everything in that school was what I wanted. I literally did not know anything else that would suit me. Eventually, I switched into a similar major that I wasn’t too crazy about.

Rejection is hard and everyone hates it. In my case, I wanted to cry and give up on everything. I was lost and so confused. There were times where I would question myself. Did I work hard enough? Did I accomplish all that I was supposed to? Was I good enough?

But thanks to the help from my loving family and close friends, I got through it. That wasn’t the end of the world for me and of course, I knew that. A single school was not going to deteriorate my dreams. I was and am in charge of my goals and aspirations, not a school.

I also realized that being in a certain major doesn’t really determine your career path. There are people that major in one subject and then end up doing something completely different as a living.  I mean there are certain majors, such as engineering, that require an engineering bachelor’s degree but not for a lot of others. According to Ashley Stahl’s article Six Reasons Why your College Major Doesn’t Matter, “Your degree is a prerequisite for the competitive workforce; the topic is irrelevant.”

If anything, this rejection only pushed me to work harder. I started thinking about my career in a completely different way. I knew that I really wanted to work in the public relations field no matter what. My mindset is still there and will remain on that goal. I continue to look for opportunities and internships that will give me experience and teach me valuable skills. I imagine myself doing everything that I originally wanted to do times 100.

I wrote this to let people know that rejection happens and it does really suck. But if you really want something, you’re going to continue working for it no matter what. Stay focused on your dreams and keep on striving for them no matter what, collegiettes!

Courtesy: Carelyn Tiburcio

Carelyn is a student at Florida State University. She's double majoring in Editing, Writing, Media and Humanities. Carelyn loves pastel colors, thought-provoking books, and exploring the beautiful world.  
Her Campus at Florida State University.