How to Host the Perfect Friendsgiving

Friendsgiving: The celebration of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with your friends.

Courtesy: Evite

Everyone loves Thanksgiving food. There’s really no downside to mashed potatoes, turkey, pumpkin pie, and being surrounded by loved ones. However, as many people know all too well, sometimes thanksgiving brings its own set of challenges, like having to sit next to your weird uncle who happens to be an avid Donald Trump supporter.  But it’s that time of the year. It’s sixty degrees in the morning and eighty degrees by noon, the scent of pumpkin spice is in the air, and you’re ready to get your turkey on.  So why not host a Friendsgiving? It’s all the fun of Thanksgiving without the long trip back home and family drama. Whether you live in a dorm with nothing but a microwave to your name, or you’re dying to put your apartment kitchen to use, hosting Friendsgiving is the perfect way to celebrate the season.

1. Don’t overburden yourself

The stress of hosting your friends can be too real. Obviously you’ll want everything to be absolutely perfect, but there’s no need to give yourself gray hair by stressing. There’s no need to go full on Martha Stewart when you can create an Instagram-worthy event with what you already have. Don’t be afraid to use paper plates and store-bought cranberry sauce. You are only human, after all.

2. Learn to talk turkey

Obviously, the turkey is the most important component of any Friendsgiving. If you’ve never prepared a whole turkey before, make sure you give yourself the necessary time to thaw and season it. Don’t be afraid to look up recipes! Cooking a turkey is not something that should be done from scratch.

3. Think outside of the box

Friendsgiving allows for way more flexibility than a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Since it doesn’t have to be cookie-cutter, feel free to get creative. Make it potluck style, with each guest bringing their own take on a Thanksgiving classic. Or mix it up by having a Friendsgiving brunch with pumpkin pancakes and other goodies.

4. Be prepared

Murphy’s Law says that if something can go wrong, it will. This is especially relevant when you’re hosting a party, but of you are well prepared, it’s no biggie! Make sure ahead of time that you have the space and materials to accommodate all your friends. Nothing ruins the fun like not having enough wine glasses or running out of food for everyone.

5. Don’t forget to have fun

It’s easy to lose sight of what really matters when it seems like everyone is trying to one-up each other with Instagram posts of perfect apple pies and gorgeous Thanksgiving tablescapes, but the whole point of Friendsgiving is coming together with your friends over a nice meal. The turkey doesn’t have to be perfect, and it’s totally cool if Jen forgets to bring the pumpkin pie. What matters is creating a memory that you and your friends will never forget.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.