Almost everyone in college is frantically studying during our least favorite time of the year: midterms. Okay, maybe the second least favorite time of the year, because finals week definitely takes the gold. One issue I always used to have (and I’m sure many of you feel the same!) was staying focused during cram sessions the night before a big test. Well, I figured out the missing piece of your study routine. After major amounts of experimentation, I have found the formula for the perfect study playlist that will allow you to remain concentrated on preparing for your exam!

1. Choose songs that are low key and chill. It does not necessarily have to be slow, but it should be something that will keep you on track.

You don’t want anything with a hype beat that will make you want to get up and dance. We’re trying to study; this is not another messy night at Bajas.

2. Choose songs that you might usually skip over because they have a dreary melody.

Pick something that will drown out any background distractions but will not distract you. Think along the lines of “Somebody Else” by The 1975, not “Finesse” by Bruno Mars or “Rockstar” by Post Malone.

3.Try not to pick anything you listen to regularly!

You do not want to get caught up listening to the lyrics and singing along.

4. Make the playlist as long as you want.

It will be refreshing to hear different tunes and melodies as you study or work on a paper. Things will stay fresh in your mind and you might even begin to associate different songs and sounds with material that will be on your test.

Here is my current favorite playlist to listen to during my study sessions. It includes some of my favorite bands and artists, so hopefully, you can pick up some new tunes to study to and maybe even find a new favorite album to spin while getting work done! You can use it as your own, pick and choose some songs or use it as inspiration for your own perfect study guide! I encourage you to make your own personal one to fit your unique music taste.  Remember: you are trying to make a mellow playlist with good, calming vibes so you can block out any distractions while staying focused on your work.

Courtesy: Tumblr

“Twin Rivers” – Big Scary                           

“Excuses” – The Morning Benders

“Breathe” – Anima!

“Breezeblocks” – alt-J

“Faded Heart” – Børns

“Sea Creatures” – SOAK

“Barcelona Fantasy” – The Bambinos

“I Wanna Be Yours” – Arctic Monkeys

“Cigarette Daydreams” – Cage the Elephant

“Crooked Teeth” – Death Cab for Cutie

“Fitzpleasure” – alt-J

“Slip” – Elliot Moss

“Jameson” – Zella Day

“From the Dining Table” – Harry Styles

“Take Me Dancing” – The Maine

“No Grey” – The Neighbourhood

“Man on the Moon” – Zella Day

“Killing the Blues” – Robert Plant & Allison Krauss

“Adventure Kids” – Teen Men

“Meet Me in the Hallway” – Harry Styles

“Wildflowers” – Tom Petty

“Riptide” – Vance Joy

“Hunnie Pie” – Zella Day

“Sweet Dreams” – Børns

“Somebody Else” – The 1975

“Location” – Khalid

“Visions” – The Maine

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.