Our editors here at Her Campus FSU have decided to create a bi-weekly column, Her Picks, sharing what we’re obsessed with at the moment. Every other week, our editors will let you in on their latest finds — whether it be a cool new beauty product, an interesting restaurant or a band they can’t get enough of. Here are a few of our editors’ picks this week: 

Rachel Epstein, Editor-in-Chief

1. Yoga at the Leach

Never in a million years did I ever imagine myself doing yoga… and when I say never, I mean never. All of that changed two months ago when I spontaneously decided to attend a class with Her Campus FSU Social Media Director Malory Hudson—and it’s been a game changer ever since. Not only is the weekly class free for FSU students, but the instructor Lynn has the voice of an angel as she guides you through the moves. I definitely recommend trying it out even if it’s the last thing you picture yourself doing. You can sign up for classes 24 hours in advance here.

2. @BeautifulDestinations

If you’re ever sitting in class wondering where else in the world you could possibly be, then you should definitely follow @BeautifulDestinations. Boasting over 4.5 million Instagram followers, the account created by founder Jeremy Jauncey features quality travel photography from all over the globe. You’ll probably catch a severe case of wanderlust—consider this your warning.

3. AllSwell Notebooks

For those of us who love the idea of the good old-fashioned pen to paper, consider heading over to AllSwell to purchase your newest journal. With both lined and unlined pages in the same notebook, you’ll have enough space to tell your story while showcasing your visual creativity. The notebooks are made out of recycled material and the brand’s background story is really awesome. It’s definitely worth the purchase. 

Emily Clemons, Managing Editor

1. Becoming Nicole

I received the book Becoming Nicole as a birthday present this past weekend, and while my enormous to-do list is preventing me from reading it right now, all of the reviews have been outstanding. Becoming Nicole, written by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Amy Ellis Nutt of the Washington Post, tells the story of the Maines family. Jonas and Nicole (formerly Wyatt) Maines were born as nearly identical twin boys and adopted into the Maines family in 1997. It was clear from an early age, however, that Wyatt’s gender did not match his sex. He frequently asked when he would get to be a girl, and loved his pink princess dress. The book details the family’s journey as Nicole changed her name, worked for acceptance in her community and eventually, after graduating from high school, underwent sex reassignment surgery. I cannot wait until Thanksgiving break to delve deeper into this book!

2. Gloria Steinem’s Feminist Book List

Can y’all tell that I’m sick of reading nothing but my textbooks? In a recent interview with the New York Times for their Sunday Book Review, Steinem talked literature, contemporary feminism and her favorite heroines. While the interview alone is worth a good read, I definitely walked away from this article with a book list a mile long. I’m preparing to hibernate and do nothing but read at the end of this semester.

Taylor Dickey, Events Director

1. Emma Watson’s Interview with Malala Yousafzai

This past week, Emma Watson interviewed Nobel Peace Prize winner and global activist Malala Yousafzai to discuss Malala’s new documentary He Named Me Malala, and it’s safe to say it is an interview for the history books. The inspiring duo talk education, The Malala Fund and what it means to be a feminist.

2. @PaperFashion

I have an obsession with fashion illustrations. I think it comes from my love of gorgeous couture gowns as well as my lack of artistic skills. Regardless, I recently found a new illustrator named Katie Rodgers who runs the Instagram Paper Fashion (she has her own website too), and she is amazing! Katie’s illustrations range from abstract faces and ballet dancers to detailed and mesmerizing gowns. A must-follow if you’re looking for a little inspiration or beautiful pictures. 

3. Elle Horoscopes

I know what you’re thinking: “You read horoscopes? Really?” Call me crazy, but yes I do, and it’s all thanks to Editor-in-Chief Rachel Epstein and Social Media Director Malory Hudson. I was introduced to the wonderful world of Elle Horoscopes one day in our Advertising Research class, and I will never go back. Elle has a daily, weekly and monthly horoscope for each sign, and I have to say they are pretty accurate! I mean, what harm can come of reading them, right?

Colleen Koubek, Treasurer

1. The Neighbourhood’s Wiped Out!

The Neighbourhood’s new album is fantastic! From the artist that brought you “Sweater Weather” comes the band’s latest endeavor. The song “Prey” is definitely my favorite. Also, check out “Cry Baby” and “Single” for cool new mixes to add to your chill playlist.

2. TheSkimm

TheSkimm is a news source that is sent to my email every weekday morning. They break down the latest news so you don’t have to. It was started by two post-grads, and it provides relevant happenings in the world for college students like me who are on the go and lack cable. 

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.