stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Health Perks of Your Favorite Valentine’s Day Candy

It’s almost February 14th and if you’re anything like me, you know that means only one thing in particular: CHOCOLATE. Lots and lots of it. The unconventional definition of chocolate is known as the candy that fills every gap in our hearts and makes our souls happy. On this Valentine’s Day, before you go worrying about over-indulging on that delicious, delectable treat, know that you are indulging in at least some health benefits as well. Yes, surprisingly, chocolate does a little more than satisfy that sweet tooth. Consuming chocolate can actually help your body.

Here are 4 health benefits that chocolate, specifically dark chocolate, can do for you:

1. Ample Antioxidants

Antioxidants are substances that keep the body safe from molecules known as free radicals, which are harmful to the body. Authority Nutrition’s website says that both the cocoa and dark chocolate you enjoy are packed with many different organic compounds that function as antioxidants including flavanols, catechins and polyphenols.

2. Happiness in a Wrapper

You can’t deny that that yummy piece (or bar) of chocolate can put a smile on your face. According to Amano chocolate, there is a scientific reason for this. Chocolate, contains several neurotransmitters that have a positive effect on the human body. An important neurotransmitter in chocolate that affects people in promising way is a neurotransmitter known phenylalanine. Phenylalanine, often referred to as the love drug, essentially increases heart rate and can excite a person. That’s why you get a rush of happiness when you eat chocolate.

Courtesy: QuotesValley

3. Healthy Heart

Our hearts are what keep us alive, so why not help your cardiovascular system out?  According to a 2015 study done in Norfolk, scientist found that adults who consume 3.5 ounces or more of chocolate per day have a lower risk for heart disease. To put it in perspective, a King’s size Hershey’s Chocolate Bar weighs about 2.6 ounces. Furthermore, studies have shown that cocoa consumption is also linked to a decrease in the fat content in human blood, which means lower cholesterol. And hey, it’s never too early to start thinking about how what you eat will affect you down the road.

4. A Win for the Skin

Chocolate has positive effects on the outside of your body as well. Dark Chocolate contains flavanoids, which are scientifically known to benefit women’s skin because they protect you from UV rays.  Flavanoids also portect the body against free radicals, and increase blood flow; all contributing factors to healthier skin.

Courtesy: 123 Greetings

So before you go shaming yourself this Valentine’s Day for eating too much chocolate, remember that cocoa does offer some health benefits. And while moderation is always key, it’s okay to indulge on the holiday of love. Because chocolate is love. And we love chocolate.

Claire Georgiadis is currently a sophomore at Florida State double-majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Communications. She is a Pilates instructor, avid health nut, as well as a dancer. You can find her at the nearest coffee shop, in a corner with a good book and an almond milk latte.
Her Campus at Florida State University.