absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Gossip Girl Is Making a Comeback

It has just been announced that the return of Gossip Girl is set in stone and there are going to be some new tricks up these characters’ sleeves as well as a more inclusive plotline. Based on the fact that this reboot is in the making almost eight years later, the producers have had plenty to say about what to expect in this generation.

Courtesy: Her.ie

In a recent interview with Vulture, Gossip Girl producer Joshua Safran made a brief statement expressing how “there was not a lot of representation the first time around on the show. I was the only gay writer I think the entire time I was there. Even when I went to private school in New York in the ’90s, the school didn’t necessarily reflect what was on Gossip Girl.” Based on this comment he made, many Gossip Girl fans have concluded that there will be more queer representation taken into consideration.

Courtesy: Vulture

Besides there being more queer representation through relationships and such throughout the new Gossip Girl, the producers are also working on creating a more racially diverse cast. Due to how aware they are becoming in the real-world and real-times, the producers have decided to include a diverse cast and they also expressed in an interview how “this time around the leads are nonwhite…. It is very much dealing with the way the world looks now, where wealth and privilege come from and how you handle that.”

Courtesy: Fame Focus

Also, when some of the previous cast members were interviewed on the reboot, most if not all expressed excitement about the new generation. Chace Crawford recently made a statement about the reboot, as well as his experience being Nate Archibald, “they’re going to make it great. There’s still a demand for it — people are always asking if I’d go back and do more. Hats off to them. I think it’s a good idea…I’m always grateful for the opportunity they gave me and that whole experience — it was all of my 20s, it was like my college, living in New York for that time. I’ll always have fond memories of it.” Crawford is well-known for his role in the Gossip Girl series as a golden-boy from a very wealthy family, who always played a significant role in both Serena van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf’s lives.

Courtesy: E! Online

Besides the overall excitement the producers and original cast members seem to have about the reboot, it has also been confirmed that Kristen Bell will be continuing her role as the Gossip Girl voiceover. Looks like GG enthusiasts will be able to enjoy the new drama that awaits them, as well as be able to reminisce on the old seasons of GG, thanks to Kristen Bell’s sly remarks in every episode. The show is expected to premiere on HBO Max sometime in July 2020 so be on the lookout for Gossip Girl 2.0 as well as an expected twist that producers think will make the show juicier to watch.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Madelyn Mairena is currently a Senior majoring in Advertising at Florida State University. She has been a writer for Her Campus since her freshman year and has found a passion for getting down to the nitty-gritty details of hot topics, as well as interviewing inspiring leaders and artists. For all business inquiries, please reach out to her at madelynstar11@gmail.com.
Her Campus at Florida State University.