Golden Rules for Keeping Your ‘Lady Bits’ in Check

I think it’s time we have an open and honest talk about this. Now let’s be clear, I’m not a gynecologist, but I do have the Internet, and I’ve done my fair share of research from health professionals, so you don’t have to. So, in order to avoid possibly causing any irritation or infections down there, follow these simple steps to keep your lady bits happy and healthy.

Wash with warm/hot water only

Don’t use soaps down there. Vaginas have a delicate pH level of – 3.5 and 4.5- that must be maintained or else problems can arise. Soaps and cleansers can upset this balance and cause irritation or infections. It’s also important to avoid douching or feminine sprays, as douches wash out healthy bacteria that is necessary for your vagina to stay clean and infection-free, and feminine sprays can leave behind residue that could cause irritation. If you absolutely feel the need to use a spray, opt for one that’s chemical free and natural.

Practice good hygiene during your period

Many women experience an increase in infections when they’re menstruating since blood can throw off the usual pH. To avoid this, change your tampon frequently and don’t leave pads on for longer than necessary.

Wipe from front to back

I know it’s a little personal, but it’s very important. This keeps fecal matter from entering the vagina and causing an infection. This also prevents UTIs since fecal matter could travel up the urethra to the bladder causing that type of infection.

Wear cotton underwear

Another lifestyle change could be to avoid wearing tight fitting clothing such as skinny jeans or tights. This clothing limits airflow and keeps moisture in and around the vagina, creating an environment where yeast infections can arise. Instead, opt for dresses or skirts and pants that fit loosely.

Shower after sex

During sex, you’re opening yourself up to bacteria and other substances that could end up irritating the vagina and may cause an infection. If showering is not an option, then at least use the restroom. This can prevent unwanted bacteria from traveling up the urethra, causing a UTI.

Eat well

Yogurt has “good” bacteria that the vagina needs to stay healthy. Fruits may slightly help to freshen the smell of vaginal discharge and other liquids. They also help keep you hydrated which can flush out toxins that could be contributing to unpleasant smells.

Natalie is a Junior at Florida State University majoring in Food and Nutrition Science. She has always had an interest in writing and wants to use it as a means of educating people on their nutrition, and their physical and mental health. She is an avid procrastinator and a coffee mug hoarder. Besides science and health education, her loves include Colombian food, The Office, and corgis. Feel free to check her out on instagram: @natalieduranduran 
Her Campus at Florida State University.