On this day of love, we witness people all around us bubbling in enamor, gushing over bouquets of flowers and drooling over boxes of chocolates. Although Valentine’s Day is meant to celebrate the love you share with your loved one, it can be difficult to endure for many. It’s easy to want to wallow in self-pity for not having someone to spend this holiday with, which can lead to a lot of self-deprecation. Although there is a large emphasis on this being a day of enchanting romance, it’s also the perfect opportunity for self-care. Rather than basking in your singleness, look at it as a special day to show yourself some extra love, because self-love is the best love!

If you’re looking for some ways to spoil yourself this Valentine’s Day, I’ve crafted the perfect list of gifts to get yourself on this lovely holiday.

Pamper night essentials:

If you’re anything like me, nothing is as exciting as buying new skin care products. Bath bombs, face masks and creamy lotions will have you feeling pampered and luxurious like never before. Treating yourself to these self-care essentials will not only have you feeling like a queen, but you’ll look like one too! Your skin will be so hydrated and glowing, you’ll not only look better, but you’ll feel better.

Buy yourself flowers:

Having some fresh greenery or flowers around you will bring new energy to your space. This will not only help to refresh your mind, but it will stimulate your senses and add color to your life. Plus, who doesn’t love a bouquet of fresh flowers?

Comfort food:

This is a no-brainer. Treating yourself to a nice meal, whether that means going out to a nice restaurant or ordering your favorite Chinese food will do wonders for your soul this Valentine’s Day. Whatever you decide to have, make sure it makes you happy. And dessert is a must, so don’t forget to treat yourself!

Self-care books:

I’m personally always looking for new ways to refresh my energy and stay in a positive mind frame. If this holiday really gets you down, reading some empowering books that remind you of just how spectacular you are (with or without a relationship) can really help put things into perspective. Some recommendations that I have are You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero, #GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso and Sacred Powers by Davidji.

A new outfit:

Retail therapy never fails to cheer me up, and that doesn’t exclude Valentine’s day. So, no matter if you buy a new dress or a comfy set of pajamas, pick something that you know is going to make you feel good. After all, you always want to wear clothes that make you feel confident and comfortable.

New makeup:

Playing around with new looks is always fun, so why not go out and get some new products to try out? Makeup is a great way to boost confidence, and whether you like to wear full glam or a natural look, you should feel good in having fun with your makeup! Whether you try out a new lip shade or pick up a cute highlight, this purchase will make you feel good!  

Jewelry:

Marilyn Monroe wasn’t lying when she said diamonds are a girl’s best friend. But if you’re balling on a budget, purchasing cute pieces from stores like Lulus and RomWe can have you accessorizing like a beauty guru and saving money.

Choosing to view Valentine’s Day as a time to spread love to all and expel negativity will allow you to enjoy the day more fully and realize that you are still worthy of love no matter if you have a partner in your life or not.

All images courtesy of Unsplash.

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.