Get Bootylicious in No Time

It’s 2017 and one of your New Year’s Resolutions may have been to build that dream body you’ve always wanted and let’s face it, a nice butt is something everyone wants. And while some of us have been blessed with great behinds, others are less fortunate. Luckily for you, I have compiled a few of my favorite exercises that are sure to get you that dream booty in no time.

Now, your butt, also known as your glutes, consists of three muscles: the gluteus maximus, the gluteus medius and the gluteus minimus. The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in your body; working out this muscle will give you a rounder, perkier butt. The gluteus medius are smaller muscles and are located in the upper part of the glutes. These muscles are hip abductors. Out of all of these muscles, the gluteus minimus are the smallest but they play a very important role in how your glutes look. It sits just below the gluteus medius and is responsible for the thigh’s medial rotation.

Below are the following exercises: squats, lunges, and my personal favorite, deadlifts.

1. The Squat

Courtesy: Debbie Sanon

You can perform squats with or without weights. Here I did them with a 30-pound dumbbell. You’ll want to place your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width and make sure that your chest is pushed up and out. Then as you squat, you must remember to keep your back straight and squat almost as if you were about to sit on a chair, making sure that your thighs a parallel to the ground. Then you’ll put all your weight into your heels and push through to come up. When you come up, don’t forget to squeeze your glutes in and repeat.

2. The Lunge

Courtesy: Debbie Sanon

To perform a lunge, you will start off in a standing position with your back completely straight and completely at ease. To begin, you will bring forward one of your legs and drop your hips slowly until both legs are at a 90-degree angle. Be sure not to let your front knee go past your toes, it should be right above your ankle. Don’t forget to put all your weight into the heels and push yourself all the way up.

3. The Deadlift

Courtesy: Debbie Sanon

For this exercise you are going to need a bar like the one in the photo above. After setting the bar on the ground, you will stand with the center of your feet under the bar and your feet slightly pointed outward. You’ll grab the bar with your hands hanging outside of your legs. With your knees bent and your back straight, you will pull the bar all the way up until you’re standing straight and the bar is hanging against your legs.

Add these exercises to your current workout routine and you’ll be bootylicious in no time!

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.