Four Things To Do in Tallahassee When You’re Feeling Down

Being in college can amount to tons of stress and anxiety, and it always seems to pile on top of all the other problems you might be dealing with at just the right time. Whether it be breaking up with a significant other, missing your friends and family back home, or really just not vibing with the day you’re having, feeling down can simply ruin your entire day sometimes. I’ve been there before and I’m sure you have too. While sitting on the couch binge-watching Netflix might cure the bad day, sometimes it just won’t get the job done. When that’s the case, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help you overcome!

Grab a Bite at The Sweet Shop

The Sweet Shop is an FSU staple that I will never stop introducing to everyone I know. Their abundance of drinks and food is to die for, and the staff is always so welcoming. When I lived on campus, it was my go-to study and hangout spot. You could catch my friends and me there at least once every week! The Sweet Shop has such a homey feeling that you can’t help but sit in one of their booths all day long and picture yourself in some kind of college movie. The best part about staying there all day is being able to catch someone playing a beautiful tune on the piano at some point. There is some outside seating available as well, for those of you who want some fresh air with one of their delicious sandwiches and coffee. And don’t forget to sign your name on one of the walls so you’ll go down in history as a Sweet Shop lover!

Take a Walk Around the JR Alford Greenway

Everyone is always saying that getting out into the sun and open air is a sure-fire way to cheer you up and I agree with that completely. This greenway features beautiful, tree-lined walkways that run parallel to the railroad tracks and a covered, wooden boardwalk that gives you a great view of the Piney Z Lake. Besides reveling in the beauty with fellow walkers, bikers and hikers, you might even catch a glimpse of horseback riders! However, my favorite thing to do is set up my hammock under the boardwalk and read with the sound of trains passing by as my background noise. There are also plenty of spots to take stunning pictures to feature on your Instagram or Snapchat. Stop by the little art station on one of the paths and make some cute painted rocks before you leave!

art station in the woods
Original photo by Natalie Hughes

Catch a Movie at the ASLC

When I lived on campus, you could almost always find me cozying up with some friends watching the coolest movies at the Askew Student Life Center. Even when I lived ten minutes away, I would make it routine to visit at least once a month. Not only does the ASLC have some of the most interesting movies to watch, but they also play hit blockbusters and “before they hit the big screens” screenings. The Grindhouse makes the absolute best hot chocolate but never ceases to amaze me with the drinks they create. The atmosphere in the ASLC is always so lively and fun and the people watching the movies with you always make for such a great experience. I suggest getting there early as well because, before each show, there’s always a super funny video reel that the crowd always gets into. Unfortunately, we can’t currently catch a movie at the ASLC due to COVID-19 but, being the amazing group that they are, they have been putting on drive-in movie events that are a total blast. Bring you fuzziest blankets, order that five-dollar Little Caesar’s pizza and watch a movie from the safety of your car (this also means you can talk as much as you want and you won’t be shunned). 

Cuddle With Adorable Cats at Tally Cat Cafe

I am a huge proponent of using animals to your advantage when you’re having a bad day as they genuinely make everything better. The Tally Cat Cafe hosts some of the cutest, sweetest kittens and adult cats all year long that you can spend hours upon hours hanging out with. One hour with the cats will cost you five dollars, but you’re more than welcome to buy multiple hours and spend all day there. If you’re just wanting a place to hang out and relax while getting your animal fix, this is definitely the place to go as you don’t even have to be inside the room to see the cats lounging around and having fun. Tally Cat Cafe offers some amazing drinks and snacks as well. My favorite “Catte” to get is the Burmese—hazelnut and mocha mixed so perfectly with the cutest little cat face drawn on top with foam. If animals can always cheer you up, then this place definitely won’t disappoint. Just maybe try not to come home with one of the cats like I did (or do, because their cats are all amazing and deserve forever homes).

cat stretching on windowsill
Original photo by Natalie Hughes
Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Hey there! I'm a staff writer for Her Campus FSU and my passions include reading, writing and binge watching anything Netflix suggests to me. My major is Editing, Writing and Media and I'm minoring in Women's Studies. I'm a lover of all things Taylor Swift, YA novels and cringey TikToks. In my free time, you can catch me cuddling with my cat Mavis or making some delicious food while an episode of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina plays in the background.
Her Campus at Florida State University.