Florida State’s Most Anticipated Poetry Slam: Language of Lingerie

Valentine’s Day may be over, but the sensual vibes of February aren’t, and Florida State’s Poetic Lyricism club is here to let us know! Each February following Valentine’s Day, FSU’s most popular spoken word organization puts on a sexy show for the Tallahassee community. Writers and models throughout the city audition for a chance to showcase their talents and students wait all year long for a chance to experience this scandalous event.

Language of Lingerie, LOL for short, is an interactive, erotic poetry slam that features students and local artists as performers and lingerie models. At LOL, nothing is off-limits. Every explicit word you can think of is eloquently delivered in each monologue, rap and poems are presented as models strut seductively through the aisles, mingling and physically interacting with the audience (only with their consent of course). Throughout the show, attendees interact with hosts through games, anonymously share their sexual experiences and enroll in a giveaway for the chance to win an erotic toy. Breaking boundaries around the taboo topic of sex, there is no other event like Language of Lingerie at Florida State.

Photo Of Woman Wearing Floral Stockings
Dids / Pexels

Poetic Lyricism has been alive on Florida State’s campus for over 15 years. The organization aims to “enhance the technique of rising poets, singers, DJs, lyricists, musicians, artists, and other performers through various workshops, seminars, and events” as well as “display the talent of its members,” as stated on Nole Central. Poetic Lyricism fulfills its mission through open mic nights, poetry slams and writing workshops for the FSU community. Aside from hosting their events, Poetic Lyricism performs on behalf of all campus registered student organizations and at local community events year-round. Language of Lingerie is the organization’s largest and most anticipated show each year.

February 2020 marks the 14th anniversary of Language of Lingerie at FSU, and this year the theme is “climax.” “We’ll be focusing on peaks and aiming for new levels of erotic performances as well as poetry,” states Poetic Lyricism’s Vice President, Dwight James III. Even though LOL is an event centered around erotica, it plays as a benefit to all involved. LOL pays homage to the arts, an ever-dying area in a world dominated by technology, in hopes of keeping them alive. It also allows artists to showcase and improve their talents just as the organization’s mission expresses. Even audience members reap benefits from this event. “LOL allowed me to become more comfortable talking about sex and sexuality with my friends,” a 2019 attendee shared. Aside from the shock factor and fun experienced at this event, LOL serves a larger purpose: to educate and assist.

Language of Lingerie: Climax, taking place Friday, Feb. 21, will be located in the Florida State ballrooms. Join FSU’s Poetic Lyricism for a night of wordplay and foreplay at this passionate and unique event. Seating will be limited, so it’s important to secure your spot now. Tickets are on sale for $5 at Eventbrite or can be purchased from a Poetic Lyricism representative; tickets will also be available for sale at the door. Be sure to follow FSU’s Poetic Lyricism here on Instagram for updates!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Arielle Lawson is a Senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Finance and a minor in Women's Studies. Her passions include reading, serving the surrounding community, and her Yorkie-Poo, Indygo. She aspires to change the current narrative of Women in society through her writing, service, and future profession in Higher Education.
Her Campus at Florida State University.