Projects and final exams stressing you out? Here are five things to do to help you destress!

1. Call Someone You Love

Talking on the phone
Photo by John Tuesday from Unsplash

This is so simple and easy to do. This could be a quick five-minute phone call with your mom or a two-hour-long FaceTime call with your best friend. Ranting to your best friend about that final paper or hearing some words of encouragement from your mom is such a nice motivational push that you might need to hear to get you through finals. Connecting with someone I love always makes my day just a little bit better and is a great way to destress.

2. Eat a Meal You Love

"two sliced breads with avocado on top" on Unsplash
Photo by Anna Pelzer from Unsplash

Eating a delicious meal that I love never fails to make me feel better. Cooking, for me, is so relaxing and is a great de-stressor. For me, it’s so easy to zone out and forget about everything that’s been stressing me out. It’s a great way for me to get out of my head, and in turn, make a delicious meal that I get to enjoy. But if cooking’s not your thing, or if you don’t feel like doing dishes after, get take-out from your favorite restaurant! Go to your favorite local, pick up dinner and eat it on the couch while watching your favorite movie!

3. Do a Creative Activity That You Love

Woman in cream sweater painting her nails white on a table
Photo by Toa Heftiba from Unsplash
Whether this is painting, journaling or even screaming the lyrics to your favorite songs in your car, use a creative way to express all of the stress that you’ve been feeling. This is also a great way to take a break from studying during finals, or while you’re writing that paper. Maybe you’re thinking “I’m not creative,” or “I’m not good at any of these things.” And that’s okay! You don’t have to be good at it, as long as you have some fun and de-stress in the process. One of my favorites is painting my nails!

4. Move Your Body

indoor yoga
Zen Bear Yoga via splash

Like the one above, this one is so easy and versatile. You could go to that yoga class you’ve been eyeing, go to the gym or just do a quick YouTube workout. I know for me, whenever I’m stressed, my shoulders get super tight, so you could even do some simple stretches that help you release that pent-up stress that you’ve been feeling. You could also go on a walk around campus while listening to your favorite podcast, or head to your favorite local coffee shop. Check out these two articles for workout inspo and local coffee shops!

5. Clean Your Room

gray storage ottoman
Target

While I know most people hate cleaning their room, for me, it’s a great way to destress. I can’t do homework or study while my room is messy, and I often use cleaning my room as an excuse to procrastinate from doing homework or starting that paper that’s due in a few days. I think it’s so important to have a clean and neat environment because it’s such an easy way to destress and you also benefit yourself while doing it. Put on your favorite TV show or catch up on your favorite podcast, light a candle or turn on your diffuser, and get to cleaning! If you don’t feel like it, it doesn’t even have to be much. Just make your bed, pick up that pile of clothes that’s been sitting on your floor for who knows how long and tidy up your desk! That’s it. Or you can go all out and deep clean your room if you’re feeling ambitious enough.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Sydney is a Junior at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, majoring in Media and Communication Studies. When I'm not planning my next trip, I'm discovering new music, trying new restaurants, and lounging at the beach.
Her Campus at Florida State University.