Five Things You Need to Do During Your Coronacation

Due to the latest coronavirus outbreak, this extended spring break isn’t quite as glamorous as we may want, but it’s still several weeks of online classes, and what feels like no responsibility. While it may seem enticing to simply go crazy this break, and neglect all responsibilities, the semester’s not over yet, and there are still a great number of tasks to be done.

Apply For Scholarships/Internships

Ideally, this would have been started earlier, but late March/Early April isn’t necessarily too late for summer internship applications, and it’s not too late to apply to scholarships for Fall semester’s tuition (or just your pocket if your financial aid package is already pretty good). Whether or not your major makes internships mandatory, they are essential to networking opportunities and potential future employment training. No matter what your major is, a taste of what work will be like in that field, even if it is simply a TA job, will be extremely beneficial to your resumé.

Work A Job

If you have a summer job you usually work in your hometown, this is the perfect opportunity to call them up and ask for hours. Due to the extra weeks we have back at home, employers will be more likely to schedule you because they know you’ll be here awhile. It may be harder to find a job due to restaurants closing, but places like Wal-Mart and still functioning and are likely looking for more help. This gives you the chance to get out of your house for hours a day (which we all know we need sometimes) and make some spending money for when we finally get back to Tally.

Your School Work

This one might hurt. Contrary to popular belief, online school is still school, so I just know your professors gave you work to do. Rather than procrastinating until right before it’s due (a task I find myself quite familiar with) take it bit by bit and work on it slowly over time to save yourself time and stress later. While it may not be the same as a study room in Dirac, a trip to a deserted room in your house can inspire the creative juices and increase your work productivity.

Fix Your Sleep Schedule

Look, I get it when you’re going out to Pots twice a week while going to Recess and The Strip at least once a week, sleeping can seem like a second-class citizen in your own body. But, did you know if you go to sleep at a reasonable time, it’s possible to wake up before 1 PM (not that I would know, but I have been told by others)? So even though you may want to take this time to be bingeing and staying up late, take advantage of the fact you probably have a lot less social distractions, and there is no reason to be up without the allure of a 5 AM Strozier session.

Self Care

College is stressful. We’ve known this. Yet, we let ourselves get overwhelmed with work and extracurriculars and jobs and forget what’s most important, your mental health. No job, or grade, or amount of money is worth sacrificing your well being, so always remember that how you feel should always be acknowledged. Take a bubble bath, go on a walk, make some TikToks and channel your inner Charli, just anything that can get you to ignore all the stressors in your life and take a little brain break.

Even tough online classes for the rest of the semester sucks, by following these tips you’re setting yourself for a successful and enjoyable spring break. By balancing the necessary and more academic side of things along with the self-interested side, it creates the perfect combination for achieving whatever goals you may have.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Elizabeth Pam is a freshman at Florida State University currently studying Actuarial Science with a minor in Economics. When not writing for HerCampus, Elizabeth enjoys posting for Blacksheep and playing volleyball.
Her Campus at Florida State University.