In today’s fast-paced environment, we often forget to take a break from the craziness of work, school and extracurricular activities. College students are constantly being pushed to take more classes, get more work experience and take on more responsibilities, and do exceedingly well in all of them.

This can be a very heavy burden to place on yourself, and expecting perfection is something that can lead to more disappointment and stress, rather than productivity. So when this expectation is met with failure, you are more likely to end up being burnt out and just wanting to give up entirely.

Personally, I am definitely guilty of falling into this mindset. No matter how much you tell yourself that you are doing a good job, it can be hard to believe it and want to push through setbacks. A bad grade on an exam is never just a bad grade and somehow ends up with you lying in bed under the covers never wanting to attempt schoolwork again.

scrabble quote "you will be okay"
Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash

And as totally irrational as this may seem (and deep down we all know it is), it is very hard to not occasionally fall down this rabbit hole, and even harder to claw your way back out of it. So, with the first month of the spring semester coming to a close, here are five things you can do to get yourself out of an academic slump and back in the game.

1. Take a deep breath. 

If you’re reading this, things may not be going according to plan at the moment and you are probably feeling very overwhelmed and out of control. So, before we get into the academic advice, the best thing you can do for yourself is to take a deep breath, drink some water and try to relax for a minute. Here is your first reminder that everything is going to be okay, and that you will be able to work through what’s currently setting you back.

2. Make a plan. 

Planners are a prized possession to us college students, and I have no clue what I would do without mine. Having a physical document where you can write out due dates, assignments, social plans and work schedules is essential to success. It holds you accountable and makes day-to-day life so much more manageable, and it definitely can help you visualize your week. Look through your syllabi and class schedules and write those dates down (you’ll thank yourself later). Learning the concept of time management revolutionized the way I do school and became the most important tool I learned for being productive. Moral of the story: If you don’t have a planner, stop reading this article, go get one and come back later!

3. Visualize, visualize, visualize!

Those of you still here (those of you who got planners, welcome back!), it’s time to make a vision board. Getting overwhelmed is the easiest way to lose sight of why you are even trying so hard to begin with. In the rush of day-to-day life, a vision board can help you focus your attention on your goals and put you back in the mindset to succeed. Look up photos that embody your goals and print them out and hang them where you will see them every day. Pinterest is a great place to find inspiration and is also a great alternative to a physical board if you don’t have space for it.

4. Learn from your mistakes. 

Whatever has put you in this academic slump happened for a reason. Whether you underestimated the difficulty of an exam, rushed a paper or slept through too many 8:00 a.m. alarms (we’ve all been there!), something has led you to the point of needing a second wind. The best way to get out of this slump is to recognize where you went wrong and learn from that mistake. Take this opportunity to learn and realize what you could do differently next time to ensure this situation will be avoided in the future. Try preparing more for that exam, have a friend review your writing or even set an extra alarm! Any progress or change is a step in the right direction and puts you one step closer to getting back on track.

5. Take some time for yourself!

So many of us begin to suffer from academic burnout as the semester goes on. Overloading on classes, work and extracurriculars is the fastest way to lose motivation and can result in poor work and grades. It’s necessary to prioritize school, but it’s just as important to recognize when you need a day for self-care and relaxation. Trying a new restaurant, starting a book or hanging out with friends may be just what you need to have a little break without losing all your progress. For my friends and me, these opportunities for fun are the best way to have a break from the craziness of life while still keeping up with our workloads.

These tips are simple yet effective for getting back into the academic mindset that is easy to lose. Staying on top of your work with everything going on in the world is hard, but starting to do these little things can turn an overwhelming situation into a manageable routine. So for the rest of the semester, try and work on time management and remind yourself of the big picture; and just in case nobody’s told you yet, you got this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Alexandra Straumann is a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Criminology and Political Science. She is so excited to be apart of HerCampus FSU and explore her passion for writing and cannot wait to see what HerCampus has in store; happy reading! instagram: @alex_straumann
Her Campus at Florida State University.