Style > Beauty

Five Black Beauty YouTubers You Need to Follow

If you’re like me, it’s easy to get lost in a spiral of YouTube videos. Makeup tutorials, skincare routines and hair care are my guilty pleasures. Watching women express themselves and talk about products that make them feel beautiful is so enjoyable to see, but with so many beauty gurus out there, it can be hard to find people that really stick out to you. Personally, I like to subscribe to women who look more like me because many times how the product looks on their skin will be more accurate to how it will look on me. The same can be said for haircare. As a woman with beautiful bouncy curls, I always look for women with my similar texture when thinking about product suggestions and hairstyles. A lesson I’ve tried to keep at the forefront of my mind this past year has been “you can’t be what you can’t see,” and that’s why I believe that it’s imperative to highlight people working hard in your community to create spaces for involvement where there previously was none. I find this especially true for the Black community, and I thought that recognizing a few of the beautiful women who take pride in their craft was an important and essential thing to do.       

1. Lisette

Courtesy: Lisette’s Instagram

Lisette’s videos are great to watch because she’s so open about feminine hygiene, providing a lot of useful information in an easy way to absorb for many women who may not have had these types of conversations with their moms or other family members. Along with great tips and advice, she creates great videos centering around haircare, skincare and makeup.  

2. Truley Talented TV

Courtesy: Zenita’s Instagram

This beauty is not only a Florida State alumnus, but she’s insanely talented! I previously interviewed Zenita when her channel was just starting to kick off that you can check out here, and it’s wonderful to have seen so many of her goals come to fruition! The growth she’s made on her channel and other platforms has been amazing to witness, and she creates innovative and fresh content. From serving some serious looks to amazing curly hair care, Zenita is the YouTuber you’ll want to subscribe to.

3. Jasmine Brown

Courtesy: Jasmine’s Instagram

First and foremost, she is every curly girl’s hair goals. Jasmine’s main focus is haircare, and her videos helped me out so much when I was first learning about how to take care of and style my own curls. I’ve loved her channel since the beginning, and I know you would too!

4. Joyjah

Courtesy: Joyjah’s Instagram

Although I’m a relatively new follower, Joyjah’s channel has become a favorite of mine! She is always so cheerful in her videos, and she’s fun to watch while doing your own skincare and haircare routines. When I’m getting ready for the day, I’ll pop on one of her videos and just enjoy her virtual company. What really sets her apart for me is her authenticity and pride in her Belizean roots. Her channel is one you’ll want to follow!

5. SunKissAlba

Courtesy: Alba’s Instagram

For all my organic beauty babes out there, this channel is for you! Alba takes pride in using all organic and ethically sourced products; she even did a collaboration with Derma-e, which is a very popular organic skin care line. Her simple and clean aesthetic leaves you feeling relaxed and ready to shift to a non-toxic lifestyle after watching her videos. She actually introduced me to Derma-e products, and it was the best decision I made in terms of skincare!

Each of these beauty gurus has something unique to offer, and I’m glad that they have made space for other black women and women of color to be seen in the beauty industry. Their presence is acknowledged, praised and appreciated. I hope their channels provide you with the same great experiences that they have for me.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.