Career

The Five Baddest B*tches in History

Many of humanity’s greatest accomplishments have been achieved by women who dared to break the status quo, yet they are rarely credited in the history textbooks we grew up studying. There are countless women throughout history who have been pioneers in their fields and changed the world for the better; it’s impossible to list them all. Here are five of the baddest b*tches in history.

5. Lilith

Before Adam and Eve, it was Adam and Lilith. Lilith was crafted from the same clay as Adam (not from his rib like Eve), so they were absolutely equals. Apparently, Adam didn’t see it that way. Lilith refused to be treated as Adam’s inferior and took control of her own independence. Instead of staying in that toxic relationship, she left the Garden of Eden and was never heard from again. The only information we have on Lilith comes from ancient texts that depict her as a demon. You can’t get any cooler than being kicked out of The Bible.

4. Lady Godiva

Statue of Lady Godiva
Photo by JR Harris from Unsplash

If you take a close look at the wrapper of your next Godiva chocolate square, you’ll notice a drawing of a woman with flowing locks on horseback. That’s Lady Godiva, the original body positivity champion and hair goals inspo. She was one of the only female landowners in England during the 11th century. Her husband, Lord Leofric, was a landlord straight out of your worst nightmares. He dared Godiva to ride through town naked or else he would increase the taxes on the townspeople (see, I told you). So she did, covered only by her hair. Confidence is key, babe.

3. Sojourner Truth

Sojourner Truth was a former slave turned passionate abolitionist and feminist. She escaped slavery in 1826 and sued her former master for selling her son—and won the case. She traveled across the country attending feminist conventions and campaigning for desegregation after the Emancipation Proclamation was passed. Although women in the United States wouldn’t be granted the right to vote until 1920, Sojourner Truth showed up at the polls in 1872. Have faith in the process!

2. Queen Elizabeth I

Beneath the mountain of heart-shaped ginger curls was a cunning mind and a sharp tongue. Lizzie didn’t have a positive opinion of marriage. Her father King Henry VIII beheaded her mom; so yeah, not the best example of love. Elizabeth simply decided to spare herself the headache and stay single her whole life. She introduced levels of assertiveness and social progress, the likes of which the monarchy had never seen before. England experienced a massively influential cultural renaissance led by writers such as Shakespeare, who liked to write about the queen’s love life (such fan behavior). Whether her subjects hated her or admired her, they couldn’t deny the power she wielded all by herself. If Queen Elizabeth I had a theme song, it would definitely be Billie Eilish’s “you should see me in a crown.”

1. Princess Diana

princess diana
Photo by John Mathew Smith from Flickr

Known as the queen of people’s hearts, Princess Diana was a shining pillar of the power of kindness. One of her boldest acts (besides wearing her iconic revenge dress) was hugging hospital patients afflicted with AIDS, which helped dispel the public’s fear of the disease. Diana’s quiet humility and authenticity changed the world by reminding people of their own humanity. Compliment a stranger today. Call your grandparents and hear them smile on the other end of the phone. By following Princess Diana’s example, you can change the world too.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Fabiana Beuses is a senior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FSU. She previously served as Her Campus' Summer 2023 Entertainment & Culture Intern and is currently a National Culture Writer, where she profiles celebrities and professionally fangirls over pop culture phenomena. When she's not polishing her latest article, you can find her browsing bookstore aisles, taste testing vanilla lattes around town, or rewatching the Harry Potter series for the millionth time.