This past week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) made quite a shocking statement in regard to the usage of cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, for its possible harmful effects on a person’s body. The FDA made many recent statements in regard to the issue after it came to their attention that CBD products were being illegally sold under the claim that it can “prevent, diagnose, mitigate, treat or cure serious diseases, such as cancer, or otherwise violated the FD&C Act,” as stated in a recent article on the FDA’s website. Selling or advertising products/drugs as cures or even under the claim of their “health benefits” when it remains unproven leaves many companies who sell CBD under scrutiny.

Moreover, the FDA still has not conducted any proper research as to how CBD can be used to “cure”, let alone be put into food, more specifically infant and dog food. With this in mind, according to the FDA website, there are concerns about the consumption of CBD in younger individuals because of the “greater risk for adverse reactions due to differences in the ability to absorb, metabolize, distribute or excrete a substance such as CBD.”

CBD has been investigated to have negative effects on the body, thus making the FDA decide whether or not this is a safe drug for the public to consume. With this in mind, according to Live Science, they have made a statement on the effects CBD may have based upon research conducted on animals, expressing that “the compound may impede the function of testes and sperm, deplete testosterone levels and impair male sexual behavior.” With these studies showing how it can affect an animal, it can be safe to say that it may not be safe for human consumption either, unless taken in medicinal doses, such as through prescription.

Courtesy: Runner’s World

However, not all hope is lost for those that support the use of CBD for medicinal purposes because it can be used in certain circumstances. In an article by Harvard Health, they state how “in numerous studies, CBD was able to reduce the number of seizures, and in some cases, it was able to stop them altogether….Recently the FDA approved the first-ever cannabis-derived medicine for these conditions, Epidiolex, which contains CBD.” Based on this recent study, the FDA clearly has taken steps and precautions to make sure that any product is safe for public consumption.

As of this point, the FDA has made it a point to contact all 15 companies involved with the illegal use and selling of CBD under false advertisement. The reason for contacting these companies is to reach a verdict as to how these fraudulent companies will be handling the situation, as well as the possibility of a recall on said products. As of now, there will likely be more news to come in regard to this issue, as well as the possibility of more FDA-approved CBD products for public consumption and how these companies are handling the situation.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Madelyn Mairena is currently a Senior majoring in Advertising at Florida State University. She has been a writer for Her Campus since her freshman year and has found a passion for getting down to the nitty-gritty details of hot topics, as well as interviewing inspiring leaders and artists. For all business inquiries, please reach out to her at madelynstar11@gmail.com.
Her Campus at Florida State University.