Finding a partner, job, doing well in school, post-graduation plans, personal relationships, paying the bills and drinking enough water—the all-consuming responsibilities that we must work toward with hopes of having a better tomorrow in the near future. They are so exhausting and such serious obligations that oftentimes make us forget to enjoy our lives. Given that this is the case, why do we put so much emphasis on them that we completely disregard all the other assets in our lives?  

What I have learned recently is that perhaps we should stop romanticizing the idea of being so focused on everything else and begin to be enamored with our own selves. At times, these thoughts of working toward a career have consumed me so much so that they haven’t allowed me to truly experience how beautiful life can be. Focusing on that tunnel vision, for some time, I have forgotten to stop and smell the flowers along the way.  

If you are reading this article, it is safe to assume that for the most part, you should have access to an electronic device with access to the internet. Likewise, I think it is also safe to say that you probably live in the United States or another western country. Like myself, most reading this piece are most likely fortunate enough to have the economic privilege of living in a developed country, resulting in constant access to electricity, potable water and the freedom of choice, something most people in the rest of the world don’t have. Given that we are so fortunate for this, why not appreciate the things we do have and see the beauty in them? 

To begin to fall in love with yourself, one must begin to appreciate these concepts and acknowledge the beauty in one’s own life. We have to begin to let go and indulge in the little moments that we are so lucky to have, like looking out the car window the entire way everywhere you go, putting on your favorite playlist and really noticing the lyrics and lingering on every note of the song. 

summer girl hawaii swimsuit walking water cool high res version
Her Campus Media

Life is a beautiful thing when you have the privileges that we have; let’s not waste away its meaning simply because we don’t have so many other things going on. This is something I thought about when the pandemic began and something that I have rediscovered recently. I think we should make the choice to live with no regrets and that we really should be “livin’ like Larry” each day.  

It is time we start falling in love with life, with our bodies, with our ability to think rationally and critically, and to recognize the hardships and completely analyze them to be able to welcome the lessons they are teaching us. We should be falling in love with ourselves, with nature, with learning and the world around us, because there is so much more to life than simply day-to-day school or work. 

I learned to not force things and to let them happen naturally. Because the best moments in life happen unexpectedly when you are not waiting around for them, but rather when you are just taking it all in and being appreciative of each day that passes every day. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Cynthia is a senior working toward obtaining a degree in International Relations, and two minors in Geography and Economics from Florida State University. She loves to watch historical documentaries, read, and cook in her spare time. You can also find her outside exploring nature or inside spending time with family and friends, and occasionally imagining a life in the South of France.
Her Campus at Florida State University.