Face-To-Face With Cara Steinberg: A Sorority President’s View on Rushing, Stereotypes and Sigma Delta Tau

If you couldn’t recognize her from her beautiful brows and her beaming smile, surely you’d recognize Cara Steinberg from her amazing personality that shines through the sorority house. As the President of Sigma Delta Tau and as a three-year member of the organization, she has a lot of influence in the sorority. She uses this to empower the women who surround her and to make a difference in the community.

Name: Cara Steinberg

Year: Junior

Major: Family and Child Sciences

Hometown: Parkland, Florida

Courtesy: Cara Steinberg

Her Campus (HC): What originally made you want to join a sorority?

Cara Steinberg (CS): I had gone to a sleep-away camp when I was in high school and I just loved the whole environment that involved bonding with people and meeting new people. I just wanted to be around people who could just always be there for me. Honestly, being in a sorority went above and beyond my expectations.

HC: And were you nervous to join a sorority as a freshman?

CS: I was so nervous, oh my gosh! I would tell people I was still on the fence about it. I would say that I was just going to try it and see what happened, kind of dip my toe in the water. But, I went in with an open mind, and I was super open to new ideas, which was super helpful in the long run.

HC: So, what made you choose Sigma Delta Tau over other sororities?

CS: I think what it came down to is that every time I walked into the house, I felt almost a sense of calmness come over me. I always felt welcomed with open arms by the women here. I always felt a sense of comfort and just that I could be myself. That’s just really what felt most prominent in this house versus some of the others.

HC: Once you joined the sorority, did you have to deal with any stereotypes that other people had?

CS: I think something that a lot of people go through is thinking that they’ll be judged if they wear their letters around campus. Something I did notice was that last year when the suspension happened, that’s when I felt most targeted as a woman in Greek life. Everyone from all different areas knew about us and all my friends from other schools and different states were asking me questions. The media definitely played a part in making everything look so negative.

HC: How would you respond to people who say “people in sororities pay for their friends”?

CS: I think the one quote that resonates with me the most from my time here is that ‘from the outside looking in you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it.’ Being apart of the chapter, you experience all the warmth and the empowerment from all the women. But, a student on the outside looking in wouldn’t know; they wouldn’t understand what you feel.

HC: Any tips for girls who are looking to rush in the fall?

CS: Well, I was actually the Recruitment Counselor this past year. The best tip that I can give people is that it’s really just about the attitude that you have going into it. Be yourself and don’t let anyone yuck your yum, is what I like to tell people. Be confident in who you are and don’t try to act like someone who you think they want to recruit.  

If you’re interested in joining a sorority, consider taking Cara’s advice! She’s had an incredible time with Sigma Delta Tau.

Corrine Bresky is a first year studying criminology and psychology at Florida State university. She is from Port Charlotte, FL, the hometown of the most retirement homes (or at least that’s what it feels like to her). She is often compared to the famous actress Kathryn Hahn, and Corrine can often be found rollerblading ferociously between her classes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.