alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everything We Know About the New Harley Quinn Movie

DC just released the trailer for the new Harley Quinn movie, Birds of Prey, and fans everywhere are going wild. With Suicide Squad, its predecessor’s, overall low ratings, it’s hard not to wonder if this is going to be another flop. I guess fans will just have to wait until Feb. 2020 to find out. In the meantime, here’s everything we know from the new trailer.

Courtesy: USA Today

Recap

In her new movie, Harley Quinn, famously played by Margot Robbie, breaks away from the Joker and starts her own girl gang. Why? To protect a young girl, Cassandra Cain, from crime lord, Black Mask. People says that this girl-powered movie is promised to focus less on the male gaze, which is also true of those working behind the scenes with director Cathy Yan, writer Christina Hodson and producer Margot Robbie herself. Not only will Birds of Prey be more girl-centered, but it will also have a more comedic tone, especially when compared to the newly released Joker. Not only does the team include comedic filmmaker Cathy Yan, but also comedic performers Ali Wong as well as Chris Messina and Rosie Perez (NY Times).

Who Else?

We all know the famous Margot Robbie will be taking the lead as Harley Quinn, but who else will be on the big screen? Harley Quinn’s newly formed girl gang consists of the Huntress, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead; Black Canary, played by Jurnee Smollett-Bell; and Cassandra Cain, played by Ella Jay Basco. Some of the other cast includes Ewan McGregor, as crime lord Black Mask, and Chris Messia, staring as Batman villain Victor Zsasz. (IGN)

However, some argue that the other cast members were rid of their spotlight in the new trailer, especially the rest of Harley’s girl gang, who got a combined total of four lines. Critiques from Cinema Blend argue that Harley’s focal point was the demise of the first Suicide Squad, as it left the rest of the cast feeling underdeveloped. Will this be the fall of Birds of Prey? I guess you’ll just have to wait until February to find out.

Courtesy: Cinema Blend

Marilyn Monroe Homage

Contributing to the major girl-boss vibes is the homage to Marilyn Monroe that can be seen throughout the film. One of the scenes that has fans raving about the new trailer is the musical number. It shows Harley, dressed in an elegant dress, singing and dancing with backup dancers. If you’re wondering why this looks familiar, it’s because it references Marilyn Monroe’s performance in 1953’s Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Cinema Blend).  

What’s Next?

Can’t get enough of Harley Quinn? Neither can DC, who has already started filming Suicide Squad 2. Its release date is set for August 2021 (People). But for now, we’ll just have to settle with the new Birds of Prey trailer!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Taylor is currently a junior at Florida State University with a double major in English Creative Writing and Studio Art. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her traveling, getting lost in a book, or working on her personal blog at a local coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.