Emilia Clarke’s Newest Movie: Last Christmas

Everybody knows Emilia Clarke from HBO’s beloved series, Game of Thrones (GoT). In GoT, Clarke plays the role of Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons. This month though, Emilia Clarke has decided to pursue acting a little differently, and star in a romantic-comedy Christmas movie. Last Christmas, a film directed by Paul Feig has been long anticipated by fans all over the world. Clarke has been using social media to promote the film’s release on Nov. 8 and it has worked wonders to pull audiences in.

The film is about a notoriously unlucky woman (played by Emilia Clarke) whose life turns around after accepting a job at a department store during the holidays and meeting a man named Tom (portrayed by Henry Golding). The film, co-written by Emma Thompson, is set in London during the holiday season. The title of the movie, and much of the plot, is based on the popular song “Last Christmas” by Wham. Before the lead singer of Wham, George Michael’s, passing in 2016, he gave Thompson permission to use the song. He even left an unreleased track for the movie.

Courtesy: Den of Geek ​

In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, Thompson even said, “I was asked years ago — years ago! — to write a piece based upon ‘Last Christmas. And I sort of thought, ‘Well, last Christmas, I gave you [my heart]. Hmm, I’ve got to think of a really good story.’ I thought it for some time and I thought, ‘What about if–‘ I’m not going to tell you what, because it would give it away!” The script to Last Christmas was written by Thompson and Bryony Kimmings, but the original idea for the script developed from Thompson and her husband. According to an interview with Clarke, the script was only complete when friends who had been sent the script to read could not foresee the twist.

With that said, many fans have been attempting to spoil the movie. It has been rumored, and confirmed, that the movie has a very big, very unexpected twist at some point. Fans, unwilling to wait, have been delving into research in attempts to find the twist before watching it. Emilia Clarke does not appreciate it. A few days prior to the release of the movie, in an interview with IndieWire, Clarke said, “It’s bloody annoying. Frustrating. It’s more complicated than people are guessing,” when asked about the fans trying to find the twist before the release.

The highly anticipated film arrives in theaters on Nov. 8. Filled with a great cast, a great script and a twist that is sure to leave you on the edge of your seat, it is sure to be one you don’t want to miss! Watch the trailer below for an inside peek to the movie before watching. Christmas movies are starting to release and, as Game of Thrones would put it, “Winter is coming.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Coffee. Rowing. Dogs. That just about sums it up.. short & sweet, like me.
Her Campus at Florida State University.