Style > Beauty

Dermatologist Beauty Tips to Keep Your Skin Healthy

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Beauty Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we tackle everything from the best beauty brands to follow to the much-debated brazilian. Here, Connor Dolehide from Dermatology Associates in Tallahassee shared a few tips and tricks with Her Campus FSU to keep your skin healthy in preparation for and during spring break.

Some people tend to avoid sunscreen during spring break, making becoming tan a priority since they have one week before they head back to school. According to dermatologists, this is the worst thing you can do to your skin. Not using sunscreen increases your chances of getting skin cancer. Most skin cancers occur on the ears, nose, scalp and other areas of the face including eyelids and lips. Using an SPF-infused lip balm is a great idea when you’re going to be out in the sun for long periods of time. Even on a regular basis using a lip balm containing SPF will help keep your lips soft and protected. When wearing sunscreen, applying some to your ears goes a long way in protecting your skin. A lot of people forget about their ears even though they’re one of the most exposed areas of the body. Bottom line: a major tip for a fun and safe spring break is to buy sunscreen. Whether it’s SPF 35 or SPF 15, any sunscreen at all is better than no sunscreen.

Courtesy: Dermatology Associates in Tallahassee

Even before spring break, dermatologist Connor Dolehide says, “You should use sunscreen daily – especially on the nose, ears and hands.” Since winter is slowly coming to a close, you may think your skin feels super dry and you have the urge to exfoliate every single day to make sure that doesn’t happen – stop doing that. Some dermatologists advise “against mechanical exfoliation with a washcloth or facial wash. We recommend washing only with water to the face and body; use soap only to areas that contain apocrine glands.” Dolehide mentions that people with dry skin should “moisturize daily with CeraVé cream or Vaseline.” CeraVé cream is a product that Dolehide mentions is the best daily moisturizer he has ever used.

Courtesy: CeraVé

Everyone knows that a downside to sunscreen is possible clogged pores, which can eventually lead to acne. To avoid this you should wash the sunscreen off at the end of every day. According to Dermatology Associates in Tallahassee, a tip for keeping skin clear on a regular basis is using a “benzoyl peroxide wash in the morning and vitamin A derivative cream at night like Retin-A.” By using moisturizers you can fight against dry skin.

Use sunscreen especially on spring break to help protect against skin cancer. Dermatologists are people specialized in removing skin cancers, a business that is necessary because people don’t wear sunscreen or take care of their skin. Wearing sunscreen helps protect your skin, prevents wrinkles that come from too much sun and helps you avoid going to a dermatologist to get whatever type of skin cancer you have removed.

Courtesy: bellasolestudio.com

Sunscreen doesn’t cost that much in comparison to how much it could actually cost you if you don’t wear it. Plus some brands smell like a tropical island, and you will be extremely happy if you have it on and happen to fall asleep in the sun after consuming a lot alcohol during spring break. Sunburn hurts really badly; it will put a total damper on your spring break, not to mention it causes health concerns. Spring break is coming up within the next few weeks – don’t forget to put sunscreen on your packing list!

Courtesy: beautybanter.com

Hello all! My name is Kasey and I am currently an English and Media Communications double major here at Florida State. I have been with Her Campus for over a year now and write for the sports column called "Two Girls and Some Sports." I love ESPN and everything outdoors. Traveling is also a very important aspect of my life! I am infamous for binge watching Netflix, making cookies and playing volleyball any chance I get.
Her Campus at Florida State University.