Brenna’s journey with mental health all started in a psychology class she took in high school. Her class reached a unit focusing on mental health and then it all clicked for her. Her teacher explained to the class if anyone related to the subject being discussed and felt like they needed help, then reach out to somebody, so she texted her dad immediately asking to see a psychiatrist.

It wasn’t an easy process. It took a month before Brenna was finally able to attend her first appointment. It then took another two years to find the right medication that worked for her. Within that period, she had been on 13 different medications which may have played a role in the incident she calls the “DCON disaster.”

DCON was a four-day school field trip through her school’s chapter of Key Club. Although she has been feeling odd, she decided to still attend the trip. She explained that she noticed her actions became progressively “stupider and stupider” and she had less regard for what was best for her but she wasn’t sure why. She’d do things only to make others laugh despite how it affected her. One time she recalled spending an exorbitant amount of money on a claw machine just to get 19 rubber duckies, but she felt she had lost control.

lonely woman looking out a window
Photo by Cosmic Timetraveler from Unsplash

Later in the trip, everybody in her friend group was near the pool in their formal dresses and she went around asking everyone if she should jump in despite most people saying no. However, she still decided to strip and jump into the pull, at the moment it was enough for her that everybody was having a good time laughing and videoing.

Afterward, she went to an upper classmen’s hotel room asking for scissors and continued to make jokes about cutting her hair. Eventually, she did it turning her waist-length hair into shoulder-length even though her friend attempted to stop her. At first, she was laughing then it progressed into a screaming laugh and ultimately turned into a sob on the bathroom floor with all of her hair sitting in the sink. They took everyone besides the roommates out of the room and the teacher came to comfort her. Eventually, she calmed down and the next day, the group had a discussion about the trip overall and she realized it taught her a lot.

Once she got back home, her dad decided to admit her to the mental hospital. It was confusing because nobody there was giving her answers or saying what was going on until she was brought to a room and left there. Despite her confusion and discomfort, it turned out she made four life-long friends there.

Being in a mental hospital sounds like it would be weird or scary, but according to Brenna, it can be quite comforting. She realized that it wasn’t so bad because you were surrounded by other people your age going through the same things as you at the same time.

For her now, she realizes she’s allowed to slow down and take the time she needs. She doesn’t need to work to impress others or set insane/difficult goals. She was able to realize that it was okay to take a gap year. That she didn’t have to graduate high school with an AA then jump straight into college just to say she graduated with a BA at 19.

Everybody’s situation is different which is why you shouldn’t compare your accomplishments to other people’s. Taking care of and dealing with your mental health is one of the most important things you can do, and we can see that through Brenna’s story. Just because we want to succeed does not mean we should neglect ourselves, and if that means less time working that’s fine. In the end, jeopardizing the perfect grade for your mental health is necessary and is not talked about enough.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Second year at Florida State University majoring in Criminology and Computer Science.
Her Campus at Florida State University.