Some groundbreaking news came out of election week 2020. Miami-Dade made history by electing its first female mayor, Daniella Levine Cava. She was victorious over her opponent Steve Bovo. She is known for being one of the more liberal candidates. This area is known for siding with Hispanic male Republicans over the past years. It was a pleasant surprise for many to see this type of change as well. Carlos Gimenez was the last person to hold this position before she won. Her views differ from his and challenge them. Aside from being the newly elected mayor, Levine Cava describes herself in several ways, such as a lawyer, a non-profit worker, a social worker, a mother, a wife and more. She was ecstatic to make history in this way.

Before winning the mayor-elect position, Daniella Levine Cava held the role of commissioner. She places a lot of emphasis on community and improving the quality of life for Miami-Dade citizens. She also utilizes the qualities of a woman in her position. She often reiterates how compassion will help her get this job done. Collaboration is an important aspect for her, and she wants to assess how she can bring people in to work with her. With COVID-19, she is looking towards equity and inclusion now more than ever. Some areas of South Florida tend to get less attention and care, so Levine Cava is focused on fixing up and maintaining South Florida as a whole.

Another refreshing aspect of Daniella Levine Cava is the concern she holds about climate change. Climate change is projected to worsen its effects on South Florida as time goes on, being that it is surrounded by water. She also jumpstarted a project that placed more solar panels in the area. Many find it important to elect candidates with the environment in mind.

Downtown Miami
Photo by Muzammil Soorma on Unsplash
Daniella Levine Cava really cares about working-class families. She does not want to see anyone left behind and she works hard to help them economically. She believes in proceeding with caution regarding COVID-19. Daniella Levine Cava has donated some time and effort to ensure people have food and the necessary resources during this trying time.

Her demeanor is very confident and well-spoken. She is very certain of what she has to say. Levine Cava is strong-willed on her policy ideas and is not afraid to address conflicts. Surely this is an inspiring moment for young women and girls across Dade County. With Florida still swinging red for the presidential election this year, this is a smaller step towards change. Slowly, Miami-Dade is seeing the change some would argue is much needed. There has not been a mayor as liberal as her for almost 20 years now. She firmly believes that South Florida needs to see a woman in this position of power. She will not hesitate to say that the men do not get the job done like she does.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.