Dancer Week Kicks Off For Dance Marathon

Dancer week at FSU starts Monday the 13th, each day this week there is a different event to raise money and awareness for Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon is a HUGE fundraiser at Florida State University that takes place every spring semester. This event benefits the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital and the FSU College of Medicine. This event has been going on for the past 18 years on FSU’s campus and has raised a collective $4.5 million dollars, and in 2013 alone, Dance Marathon at FSU raised a whopping $701,493.16, and this fundraiser is one of the largest on campus. So here’s how it works: anyone at FSU can register to be a dancer, however there is a $50 registration fee per dancer to register, and in order to be “invited” to dance you have to raise $150 on your own. It seems like a lot of money but you would be surprised how much money you can raise from emailing relatives and going to fundraising events. 

Though Dancer Week is open to the entire FSU student body, it is especially popular with the Greek community. You know what they say, if you want to get sororities and fraternities to do something, put them against each other. This event gets insanely competitive. The sororities and fraternities pair up to see who can raise the most money for the Children’s Miracle Hospital. During the fundraiser, some of the children who are being treated stand up and speak about their struggles with disease and how grateful they are for the help they get from Dance Marathon. Hearing theses stories really reminds those who participate what is important in life, and not to sweat the little things (like bad hair days or getting a low grade on a test), and seeing such young children suffer from serious illnesses and how brave they are really gives the students perspective to take with them through the rest of their college career and the rest of their lives. 

This event not only helps raise money but also is an amazing experience for all who participate. Personal testimonies form previous dancer participants say that it is such an emotional experience that it changed their lives and brought them closer to the friends they did it with. Fauzia Rajani, a sophomore who participated in last year’s Dance parathion event said, “Dance Marathon was truly one of the most rewarding and emotional experiences of my life. I got to spend the night with all of my sisters and friends, hear the inspiring stories from the kids and help a great cause! I would recommend participating to everyone who has the chance.”

Dancer Week takes place every spring but the festivities get started much sooner. There will be different fundraising events everyday of the week and information about how to register. Make sure you don’t miss dancer week, which kicks off Monday the 13th and be sure to register to dance, help children and have an unforgettable experience! 

Third year Editing/Writing/Media & International Affairs Major.FSU Campus Correspondent Reader, Runner, Coffee lover."Everyones life ends the same way. It is only the details of how one lived and how one died that distinguish one man from another." ~Hemingway 
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!