Your Weekly Playlist: “Pop Rocks Popping Candy”

Have you ever wished you had a playlist full of songs perfectly curated for an oddly specific feeling or a super niche scenario that feels almost unreal? Maybe you’re looking for new and upcoming artists to check out. You might even want songs similar to a popular one you’ve heard before. Well, you’ve come to the right place!

This week’s playlist is called “Pop Rocks Popping Candy,” a collection of songs that remind you of headbanging at a concert and pop rocks candy exploding in your mouth. Some days you just need to feel like it’s 2015 and 5 Seconds of Summer made the headlines for hitting on fans again (and you wish you were one of them). This playlist has a mix of singers with raspy voices and bands with sick drummers. Here are some angsty songs that will make you want to jump around your room like you’re in a mosh pit.

1. “Sneakers” BY KNOX

Knox has been an overnight sensation, and I’m here for it. After going viral with “Not The 1975,” people are finally catching on to this wordplay genius. His songs are filled with double entendres; you’ll get lost in the lyrics before you know it. As a one-man band, you’ll be amazed at how clean his beats are, and “Sneakers” is a perfect introduction to his music.

2. “coming true” by guards

Guards gives you an indie version of pop rock with a country undertone, which may sound strange but honestly sounds awesome. The guitar presence in this song is addicting and perfect for when you’re not feeling a full headbang but want a head bop instead. Fun fact: the drummer, Loren Humphrey, used to play for Florence and The Machine! Perhaps that’ll give you a hint as to what you can expect from Guards.

3. “DREAMING” by smallpools

This song is from Smallpools’ self-titled 2013 EP, transporting you back to the 2010s. The keyboard reminds you of “Fireflies” by Owl City, while the vocals have a touch of Imagine Dragons energy. “Dreaming” feels like nostalgia and Game Boy consoles.

4. “blank me” by hastings

Hastings’ vocals give the grainy microphone filter on this song a run for its money. He’s your favorite indie grunge boy, bringing the same vibe to his songs. He might bring the toxic ex-boyfriend vibe as well… but we don’t mind.

5. “last man in the world” by the band camino

Now, this is a headbanger if I’ve ever heard one. If you need a hype track to add to your workout playlist, you’ll love this. The Band CAMINO has perfected the pop-rock genre. This song is fun and quick. It’s main character energy at its finest.

6. “hydroplane” by 90’s kids

Do you remember those movies with a band that played in someone’s garage? The local kids would come to listen to them play because they were surprisingly good, and there was always a random old couch in there. Well, that band grew up to be the 90’s Kids.

7. “1990something” by sub-radio

Only a handful of songs have made me wish I was born in the ’90s, and this is one of them. The lyrics “Don’t look down, higher than Nirvana. We can dance it out to Janet and Madonna” had me in a chokehold for a week. Check out their song “Caroline” for another jumpy and swirly fun time.

8. “heartbreaker” by nightbreakers

This song feels like going to the roller rink with your friends on a Friday night and splitting a milkshake with your crush. Pop-rock doesn’t always have to be angsty; sometimes it’s preppy too (but also still angsty)!

9. “againagainagain” by 408

This song is a double whammy, a headbanger, and a screamer all in one. This song had an emo phase on Tumblr and will tell you that black is not just a color; it’s a way of life. 408 has more of a pop-punk vibe to it, but they’re a necessary mention for making a playlist you can go metal to.

10. “language” by boyslikegirls

BOYSLIKEGIRLS was one of the founding fathers of 2000s pop-rock and punk. Their 2023 album SUNDAY AT FOXWOODS dropped after a decade-long hiatus, and they’re proof that boy bands will never go out of style. Listen to “The Great Escape” for a trip down memory lane and enjoy.

If you need some songs to get you hyped and riled up or simply want to explore some new pop-rock bands, this one is for you. Here’s the full playlist to complete your night!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

I'm a second-year majoring in Public Relations. I'm an avid writer, although my niche is my personal column that recommends songs and new upcoming artists. I love making Spotify playlists, Pinterest poetry and all things Taylor Swift!