Rap and hip-hop music often get a bad light in the media, whether it’s sourced from the lyrics or violence. Although just naming a few, this article seeks to inform readers that these artists are more than just their lyrics and charges. Here are some ways in which the hip-hop community has contributed back to the people.

NBA YOUNGBOY

Through partnership with many community organizations including the NAACP, Peace to the Streets, A Good Deed Foundation, and Metro Health Education, NBA Youngboy, Fredo Bang and others were able to organize “Unity in the Community,” a large community toy drive which sought to ensure that each child has something for Christmas. The rapper donated over 1000 toys as well as coats, bikes and shoes! In addition to the drive-thru giveaway, a private dinner was also organized for those in the community who had lost their homes to house fires.

CARDI B

In January 2022, Cardi B offered to pay the burial costs of the 17 individuals who died in an apartment fire. In a statement, Cardi B said, “I’m extremely proud to be from the Bronx and I have lots of family and friends who live and work there still. So, when I heard about the fire and all of the victims, I knew I needed to do something to help.”

The artist also donated $100,000 to help her middle school’s art department and provided a speech to the current students on how important education is. Cardi B even partnered with Community Capacity Development and K. Bain to continue her efforts of visiting different schools in Queens and Brooklyn to promote the importance of education to students in these communities. The hope in her efforts is to help young kids and these students to get off the streets.

KODAK BLACK

Within West Palm Beach’s Merry Place Housing Projects, Kodak Black paid off the rent for 28 families facing eviction, including any back fees. During a July 2021 heat wave, the artist hand-delivered 100 air conditioning units to folks living in the projects of Pompano Beach. Kodak Black is also known for donating $10,000 to the Jack and Jill Education Center as well as creating a memorial fund for Florida police officers who were killed in the line of duty.

Outside of Florida, Kodak Black donated $50,000 worth of bottled water to individuals in Haiti struggling with the extreme conditions of their nation. Kodak is calling for a ceasefire in the rising gang violence that’s turning Haiti into a war zone. The rapper also notes that the water donation is just his latest step in an ongoing effort to help the island.

These are individuals who have platforms and are now using them to lift up their communities and help others how they can. Oftentimes, their contributions to the community are not publicized as much as their music, court cases or latest Instagram drama, but should be recognized in the same way.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Amanda! I am currently a full-time student at Florida State University, and a part time writer with HerCampus. Writing is one of my more prominent passions and I love the ability to be able to share it with you. To keep up with my life…you can follow me on Instagram @theamandaflynn