The Sun Never Sets on The Stanley Cup Empire

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, many collaborations and holiday-themed products are being released in stores, such as heart-shaped balloons or limited-edition book covers. This year, Stanley tumblers are dominating social media and the holiday season, specifically their collaboration with Target and Starbucks to drop the “Galentine’s Day” collection. Featuring a red and pink bottle with a sparkly glaze, some Stanley aficionados went to great lengths to get their hands on the one-of-a-kind tumbler. Stanley has become so famous that some fans have lined up before dawn hoping to buy one of the specialty cups, with some going as far as to get into physical fights over their spot in line.

As the brand continues to grow in popularity, some are wondering if it’s finally time to invest in a bottle or if the Stanley trend has come and gone, like many other social media content waves. With a projected annual sale of over $750 million, many would argue that this bottle is going nowhere.

The Stanley trend began in 2023 with the creation of WaterTok, a sector of TikTok dedicated to making “water recipes” with flavor packets and syrups. While this community has faced some backlash for its water creations, mainly the potential impacts of sugar-free flavoring, the surge of water drinkers created the need for a cup to hold tons of water and keep it cold for hours on end. Thus, Stanley tumblers took over WaterTok and almost every sector of social media. With the assistance of influencers doting on the qualities of the bottle, like its straw feature and temperature regulation, many people began buying the tumbler based on social media recommendations. Since the summer of 2023, Stanleys have continued to gain popularity, becoming a status symbol of wellness to some and an emotional support companion to others.

@whoslulugirl_2

Decided to vlog the whole morning! The cup is so cute!!✨🩷🫶🏻 #stanleyxstarbucks #stanleycup #starbucks #winterpink #stanley #target #vlog

♬ original sound – Bella💞

So, how long will Stanleys be around? Some would argue that the Stanley trend is going nowhere and is just beginning its rise to fame. With only three Target collaborations, it’s likely that new partnerships and sets will be released soon, regenerating interest in the specialty bottles. Many Stanley owners have decided to start their collections, trying to acquire every type of Stanley produced.

Some advocates for environmental protection are criticizing collectors, arguing that the main purpose of reusable water bottles is to reduce consumption and use of materials. Given their incredible durability and lifetime guarantee, the tumblers could last 10 or more years. However, some trend followers and analysts question the ability of the tumbler to pass the test of time, given social media’s shrinking trend windows.

Looking at some bottle brands of the past — Nalgene, Hydro Flask, and many others — there’s a strong chance that Stanley could join the fray and end up being replaced with a new and improved bottle. But, for the time being, no other water tumbler has been able to appeal to such a broad audience and pique their interest with a high-quality, lasting water bottle like Stanley has. So, if you’re thinking of investing in one of their iconic Quench 4.0 tumblers, now may be the best time to get with the trends.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

McKenna is a new Staff Writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University. She is currently a freshman and is pursuing a dual degree with majors in Political Science and History and minors in Economics and Russian. McKenna is a member of the Women in Pre-Law Society and Alpha Chi Omega sorority and is looking forward to joining more organizations throughout her time at Florida State. Outside of school, McKenna enjoys watching the Atlanta Braves, running, listening to podcasts, hitting the gym, and going to concerts. She loves watching Florida State’s football and baseball teams. In her hometown just outside of Atlanta, Georgia, you’ll find her four dogs and one cat, bob.