Studies show that dogs and humans offer a mutualistic relationship as stress is decreased in both when appropriately presented with each other. Finals week, even the week before finals week, can be extremely stressful: many have multiple papers due and are forced to study for every class for hours on end. However, studies also show that studying becomes ineffective after about 90-120 minutes, so when your brain starts to go numb and your eyes begin to glaze over, come on down to Robert Manning Strozier Library at 1 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 6! There will be therapy dogs there specifically to help you destress and decompress from that tedious philosophy paper!

Being in the presence of a dog while you are stressed about schoolwork allows you an open space to take everything light-hearted and enjoy your canine company. For a few minutes, the adorable face of your furry friend takes your mind off of that test that could be haunting you all week, and this pal can make it seem so small in the grand scheme of things. When the pooch gets tired of playing, you can simply get back to what you were doing with a fresh and alert mind.

Courtesy of FSU Events Calendar

De-Stress with Doggos” is an event that has arrived at FSU just before finals week for a few years now, drawing a crowd every year! This event is co-sponsored by the Tallahassee Memorial Animal Therapy Program, which is devoted to helping different kinds of people with achieving a goal through therapy “whether it is helping a child learn to read or helping a grown man learn to walk again.” This program does not simply provide these friendly canines to motivate us through the stress that comes with finals week, but it also provides these trained tail-waggers to other folks in need of encouragement. 

Coming to this event would not only be beneficial to you and the dogs, but also to spread awareness of this brilliant program, which is the only one of its kind throughout the Big Bend. It has been using the kind, caring, energetic and loving nature of dogs in its mission to provide therapy since 2005 and now visits about 60 different facilities each year– including Florida State! For more information on this program, visit the Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare website.

We all know the scenario of seeing someone walk down Legacy Walk with a pup and staring at it as it scampers while also desperately wanting to pet it; so, come to Strozier on Dec. 6 and pet all of the doggos you want. Stop for five minutes (or stay for the whole two hours!) the pooches will be waiting for you! Come experience all the fun of playing with a pup for a little while and forget about that Stats final!

The Event: De-Stress with Doggos

When: This Friday, Dec. 6

From: 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Where: Robert Manning Strozier Library, Study Room 107-K

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

I am currently a second-year student at Florida State University studying English Education. I grew up in San Diego, CA for a few years before finishing high school on a small island on the eastern shore of Maryland called Kent Island. I enjoy reading, painting, music, and of course writing!
Her Campus at Florida State University.