The Color Run: The Happiest 5k on the Planet!

Imagine running 3 miles while listening to music, hearing people laugh, and having colors splashed all over you. This is what many FSU students and Tallahassee locals experienced Saturday morning.

The Color Run, the happiest 5k on the planet, hosts events in almost every single continent for more than 1,000,000+ color runners. This run is not your average five-kilometer run. It is an un-timed race where thousands of participants are covered entirely in different colors at each kilometer marker. Each kilometer marker had a designated color to shower the runners in. The rules of the run were simple: wear white at the starting line and look like a rainbow basically threw up on you at the finish line (beware of the colorful nose boogers once you clean up).

“Being surrounded by so many smiling people made three miles feel like nothing,” said FSU senior Miguel Morales, “it was such a positive environment to be in. My lungs were literally filled with color!”

The 5k started at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center, went up around Doak Campbell Stadium, and landed back at the Civic Center. Once color runners finished the run, there was a finish festival. Imagine someone throwing you a party after you ran 3 miles in the sun! This party was filled with music, dancing, and guess what else? More colors of course! Confetti covered the finish line and volunteers handed out more packets of powdered paint for runners to celebrate some more. Every five minutes there was a color drop, a countdown where everyone threw colors up in the air. Every so often, there were items thrown at the crowd such as sunglasses, t-shirts, hats, book bags, and jackets. According to the color run team, “this is the best post-5k party on the planet.”

Every registered color runner this year received a custom t-shirt, tri-color headband, temporary tattoos, and a shoulder sling bag. This year The Color Run team created a theme of Kaleidoscopes for the run. Do you know how it feels like to look into one? That is the exact way runners felt as they stopped running and took a few quick pictures, looking like a mix of different colors in a Kaleidoscope. According to The Color Run volunteers and teams, “we’re making rainbows all over the world, come join us!”

If you haven’t run a 5k before, The Color Run is a good one to start with. Participants are not required to train very hard, considering the fact that many walked throughout the race. The purpose of The Color Run is to promote health, happiness, and individuality. You can run, walk, or mix it up throughout your three miles. People of all ages joined in the fun, from young children to grandparents.

“Although a 5k may sound intimidating to most, The Color Run is perfect for just about anyone regardless of fitness level or age. They emphasis happiness throughout your journey to keep you motivated,” said FSU senior Ana Alfaro.

The Color Run prides itself on being a for-profit event and partner with multiple charities to help “shine a light on their amazing work with society and highlight the causes they stand for.” Since 2012, they have raised donations for over 80 local and national causes and have donated more than $3 million.

If you’re interested in participating or volunteering at future Color Run events, you can go check out http://thecolorrun.com/

“More FSU students should diversify their weekend plans and enjoy what the community has to offer. This was an unforgettable event that I’m glad I decided to wake up for,” said FSU senior Ana Alfaro.

Amanda loves to write creatively on her spare time. When she isn't studying for her double major in both Psychology and Editing, Writing, and Media, Amanda is in the kitchen cooking up some dinner or baking sweet treats. She is a kid at heart and will never be too old for anything Disney. Amanda aspires to become a producer and writer for future video games.
Her Campus at Florida State University.