Valentine’s is literally just around the corner! This is a time for everyone, single or boo’d up, to get into the spirit of love and show someone you care about, platonically or romantically, how much they mean to you. Whether that be with a Chick-fil-a nugget tray and a bouquet of flowers or with a simple back massage while having a movie night in, there always seems to be cute ways for couples, friends and families to show their loved ones that they care about one another. However, my only question is; what are people doing throughout the year to show their love to one another. . .especially romantic couples? I mean, there is no denying that this time of year is super cute, fun, and an excellent time for “love to bloom,” but shouldn’t we show that we care more than just once a year? With this question in mind, I came up with a few tips on how to keep the romance alive and show that you care throughout the year for your special someone.

1. Learn Their Love Language 

Person doing the shape of a heart, and there is a shadow behind it
Photo by Dids from Pexels

This is something that everyone should do! For me, learning my significant other’s love language is a top priority. Why? Because learning someone’s love language is KEY to understanding how that person perceives love. Growing up, we weren’t really taught anything about love, and our only source of information on the topic was through what we saw with our guardians, popularized music and—for me at least—High School Musical, which was a train wreck of love now that I look back at it. For a lot of people, those outlets of information on “love” are not the best examples. So because everyone in life has different experiences and perceives situations and other scenarios differently, it is always best to not just assume that your significant other perceive love in a certain way or even the same way you perceive it. Plus, taking the quiz together with your S.O. is a great way to show that you care about them. Here’s a link to a great love language quiz!

2. Have Meaningful Conversations

Couple talking on park bench
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash
Now that you and your partner know each other’s love languages, another great step to showing you care about your S.O. is by having deeper conversations with each other. It’s always great to know someone’s favorite color or favorite food, but it’s even better to know what makes the other person motivated in life, what they are scared of, and so on. Now, I’m not saying that you need to start playing 21 questions with your S.O., but having moments where the both of you can just sit down and enter a space of understanding and assurance with one another to have those more meaningful conversations will make the relationship bond even stronger.

3. Surprise Them Once In Awhile

Photo by Porapak Apichodilok from Pexels
This is perfect for keeping things spicy throughout the relationship. It’s always fun to get surprised with something you really like or with a whole date planned out, so your partner would probably enjoy a surprise here and there. Some good examples could be an impromptu dinner date, their favorite flowers on a random day, or possibly doing a task for them. Either way, this is a great way to take into consideration their love language and interests and show them you really care about them with spontaneous romantic gestures.

4. Be Their Shoulder to Cry On

Bride and Groom sitting near a lake
Photo by freestocks on Unsplash
This is something really simple, but honestly, something that a lot of people don’t have. Being your S.O.’s “shoulder to cry on” is important in showing that you care and truly see them. In these moments of need, it’s best to sit and listen to your partner’s needs and just be that safe space for them.

5. Know Your Own Worth

teacup with flower and book page
Photo by Debby Hudson from Unsplash
With everything I just said above, this is probably the most important tip I could give you. It’s no secret that nobody is perfect. You might find yourself in a relationship where you’re the only one putting in the effort, being cheated on, or maybe you both just are not feeling the relationship even though everything seems to be perfect. Whatever the situation may be, just know that your feelings matter, and so does your partner’s feelings. So at the end of the day, if you find yourself exhausted and running out of options on how to keep the relationship alive, take a step back and remember your worth. If things aren’t working out, then things aren’t working out, and that is a huge sign for you to move on to bigger and better things! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Mia is a sophomore student at Florida State University majoring in Criminology with the hopes of going to law school. Mia enjoys movies, music, soccer, and being with her friends and family.