Rising Om Yoga is a local studio in Tallahassee that seeks to cultivate a space of community, health and healing. I got the opportunity to chat with one of their beloved instructors, Ansley Corson. Corson is a Tallahassee native that graduated from Florida State University with a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication in 2021. She says, “When I’m not working my full-time gig with my planning firm or serving coffee with Frother’s Daughter, you can usually find me on my yoga mat or planning my next adventure.” 

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been practicing yoga? How did you start?

Ansley Corson (AC): I’ve been practicing yoga for about seven years. I first started looking for a new way to move my body after I quit dancing. A friend invited me to a hot yoga class at a local studio, and I’ve loved it ever since. 

HC: What inspired you to become an instructor?

AC: Connecting with people is something that I have always loved to do, no matter the capacity. I started working the front desk at the yoga studio I attended to become more involved. After that, I was ready to deepen my practice and share something I was passionate about with others by getting certified to teach! 

HC: What type of yoga do you teach? Why do you prefer this form of yoga?

AC:  To me, movement is medicine. Being able to connect your mind and body amidst the constant ebbs and flow of life is super powerful. So, I teach a style of yoga that is a moving meditation called Vinyasa Flow, in addition to some power classes and Pilates. The classes I teach are often in our heated room to also reap the benefits of infrared heat.

HC:  In what ways has yoga impacted your life?

AC: Yoga has given me the gift of learning how to slow down. Outside of the beautiful relationships I have made because of this practice, I have built a strong connection and sense of self. Yoga has given me an outlet that allows me to slow down, reconnect and build clarity and strength both on and off the yoga mat, and I will be forever grateful for it. 

HC: Do you feel as though anyone can benefit from practicing yoga?

AC: Yes! Though it can look daunting at first glance, I believe yoga is one of the few forms of movement or exercise that meets you exactly where you are. There are a million-and-one ways to practice yoga that makes it accessible to just about everyone. We practice yoga to become more patient, mobile and flexible — it is definitely not a pre-requisite.

HC: What advice would you give someone interested in trying out yoga for the first time?

AC: Go in with an open mind. As mentioned previously, there is no right or wrong way to try something new. Whether you are following along with a YouTube video or taking a class in a group setting, the biggest piece of advice is just to give yourself permission to honor where you are. If it is your first yoga class or your 100th, your body will let you know exactly what it needs. Gaining that intuition is just as important as touching your toes or whatever you think yoga is “supposed to be” or look like.

HC: Do you believe that yoga is a way of life or a form of exercise?

AC:  Great question. I think yoga can be whatever you want it to be. At its core, it is a tool. For some, it is merely a physical practice to help increase mobility and help with recovery. For others, it is merely to ease anxiety and stress. For me personally, the principles of yoga and the lessons I have learned co-exist both on and off my mat. This goes for during the middle of a class as well as the choices I make on a day-to-day basis. 

HC: What do you enjoy most about working at Rising Om Yoga?

AC: There are so many things I love about our studio. For one, I love the community that seems to blossom organically. Everyone there is on a mission to devote time to becoming the best version of themselves, whether it be mentally, physically or beyond. I am also so grateful for the amount of growth that I have been able to experience there. From my start as a client to working the desk to teaching five-plus classes a week, I am always a student of yoga, and the studio supports my growth in all areas of life in a massive way. 

HC: What would you say is the Rising Om Yoga’s purpose?

AC: At Rising Om, we believe in rising above our challenges. We provide the space and tools for you to begin living with ease and joy. Our classes aim to empower you to create the healthy life you deserve! Community, health and healing are our highest purpose as we work to increase body strength, reduce anxiety and heal injuries through the practice of yoga! 

Thanks to Corson for sharing her love of yoga and how she uses it to connect with others.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Kaylee Valenzuela is a freshman at Florida State majoring in Political Science, and minoring in Psychology and Business. She enjoys cooking, baking, painting, and yoga.