fall day in landis, outside strozier, florida state campus, golden hour
Madeline Schmidt
Life > Experiences

My FSU Fall 2023 Semester Recap

This semester was one of the most transformative periods of my life. Though I’ve always been very sure of who I am as a person, I’m not the same woman I was at the beginning of the semester. Whether that’s because I rediscovered old parts of myself or found new things I love, I know this transitional period of my life will be fondly remembered. Let’s go through the main events of my semester at FSU together!

1. Finding my Major and Interests

I recently transitioned from majoring in Psychology to majoring in Media/Communication Studies. With Psych, I was always very intrigued by the human mind and such, but never in a way that made me actually want to be a psychologist (or earn my doctorate). I realized that I was never passionate about psychology, but then I found my passion for media studies and communications! I took one comm class last semester and was extremely excited. I finally really enjoyed studying something. 

This led me to Her Campus at FSU (HCFCU). I applied to become an HCFSU Staff Writer after seeing the Instagram page, and I thought it would be a great way to get involved in an area I was new to. Because of this, I fell in love with journalism and writing. Though I’ve always enjoyed it, I have a new passion for it.

2. Football Season

The FSU Football Games this year unleashed a beast in me that I didn’t know was there. For context, I’ve been competitive for as long as I can remember. So, at every FSU game, I was committed to being vocal with my opinions on the game (let’s just say it was a pretty common experience for me to lose my voice).

I was also invested in monitoring the Associated Press (AP) and College Football Poll (CFP) rankings pretty much all season long. I even started watching other college football games to see how the other teams were doing compared to ours. Never in my whole life have I been THAT passionate about football (okay, maybe I have, but I surprised myself). There was something so special about our team this year. I believe it’ll remain this special for years to come. 

Regardless of my new football obsession, I’ve also never felt more connected to my school than when I’m in the student section of an FSU football game. Whether we’re down by a touchdown or curb-stomping the other team, there’s no better feeling than being proud of your school and being with your best friends simultaneously. These memories are some of my fondest ones.

3. Music

I am a die-hard music person. I need music playing in the background every morning when I get ready, every time I drive my car, and any time I’m walking somewhere. I need music playing at all times. Though I’ve always had an open mind about listening to new artists, songs, and genres, I have never had a full-blown rediscovery of the type of music I like until this semester.

Within the past four months, I’ve become a fan of seven new artists (though my Spotify Wrapped didn’t reflect this). I’ve also rediscovered three artists from several years ago. Although I’m a Swiftie to my core, my taste in music was already pretty vast and all over the place. Now, my taste has broadened even more. Maybe it’s because of the recent chaotic events in my life. Either way, I’m very excited to have found some new music to listen to. 

Though these are just a few aspects of my personal life, these three things have truly been some of the most significant contributors to my happiness and success this semester at FSU. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for spring!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Allysa Laufersky is a Sophomore at Florida State University. She is a Staff Writer at Her Campus FSU, and is currently majoring in Media/Communication Studies, while minoring in English. Loves dancing, "hot girl walks", music, film, anything pop-culture related, TikTok, taking photos, and being in the moment.