Break a Leg: FSU’s Three Mainstage Theater Productions This Semester

Florida State University’s School of Theatre invites theater lovers to come and experience the fruits of its prestigious program with six mainstage productions each year, and this year is no different. While FSU’s fall 2022 shows have already ended, three new productions will be opening for the spring 2022-2023 season. Going to the theater is beneficial when it comes to gaining new experiences, growing your appreciation for the arts, and seeing new perspectives, yet many students are unaware of the productions FSU is producing this season. Whether you are a theater-lover or simply looking to explore more events on campus, I highly recommend going to see what the School of Theatre has to offer. Casts of talented individuals come together to create these productions, and there is a show out there for everyone.

Here are the three mainstage productions of Spring 2023 to look forward to:

Something Rotten

If you enjoy farce, extravagant song and dance numbers, and laughs, this is the show for you! 

This well-known musical comedy features music by Karey Kirkpatrick and Wayne Kirkpatrick, and a script written by Karey Kirkpatrick and John O’Farrell. It is about two brothers during the renaissance who plan to make a hit show that is better than Shakespeare’s works. It ran on Broadway from 2015-2017 and was nominated for 10 Tony Awards. If you’d like to see the School of Theatre’s take on this big, fun musical, performances will be held in The Richard G. Fallon Theatre (FAB) from Feb. 24 to March 5. The show is about two and a half hours long and includes a short intermission.

Bulrusher

If you enjoy comedies that touch on topics of race, identity, love and friendship, you won’t want to miss out on this show! 

Written by Eisa Davis, this dramatic play is about a multiracial orphaned girl who doesn’t feel she fits in her town. She soon begins to find herself when she meets a like-minded black girl from Alabama. Bulrusher premiered in March 2006 and earned a spot in the Pulitzer Prize finals. If you’d like to see this performed by the School of Theatre, the play will be performed from March 31 to April 8 in The Lab Theatre. Expect the play to have an intermission and last about two and a half hours.

The secret in the wings

If you appreciate enchantment, darkness, dream, logic and obscure tales, keep an eye out for this performance!

Written by Mary Zimmerman, this dramatic play is a retelling of many lesser-known and strange fairy tales. Zimmerman is a Tony award-winning director and writer. If you want to secure a front seat to these exhilarating tales, the School of Theatre will be running this play from April 14 to April 23 at The Conradi Studio Theatre in the Williams Building. There will be no intermission for this show and it will run for about an hour and a half.

If interested, student tickets for each show are $10 and can be purchased on the FSU School of Theatre website.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Anastasia Haro is a freshman at Florida State University. If not writing, you can find her watching a movie, taking a walk, or petting the campus cats.