Beware Collegiettes: We are Amongst a Record-Breaking Flu Season

Health officials thought 2016-2017 made for the worst, most extreme season for the Influenza virus to date, but this season is surpassing expectations. Though there is much controversy over whether one should get vaccinated for the flu or not, doing so could potentially save your life. People do not realize the extent to which the virus can get if treated improperly. In fact, the Oregon Health Authority, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and several other sources have noted that while four percent of emergency visits at hospitals were for those infected by the flu, the percentage raised to five this past season. Disease Control announced it as “the highest measured hospitalization rates for the virus.”

The peak during flu season occurs around this time of the year – early February – so the battle is far from being over. It is easy to confuse the flu with a “really bad cold.” Not to scare those who get the flu, but the flu can result in death if things get out of hand. Although these severe cases are mostly associated with geriatric individuals, it is not a virus to be taken lightly.

Courtesy: CDC

Complications with Influenza have been especially severe on the east coast of the United States. The current outbreak includes three different strains: H3N2, H1N1 and influenza B. A symptom often overlooked is fatigue and a bad headache. Most people describe their state during the flu as “having been hit by a truck.” If you find yourself not being able to leave your bed or not having the energy to do anything – even something as simple as going to the bathroom – you most likely have the flu and should seek medical attention immediately. The following are symptoms of the flu: 

• Body and muscle aches
  • Chills
  • Cough
  • Fever
  • Headache/migraine
  • Sore throat

If you are so unfortunate as to acquire the flu, rest and hydration are your best friends in expediting recovery.

While it is important to know how to treat the flu, it is also important to know how to take preventative measures. In college especially, we are all exposed to an abundance of germs. We can obtain the flu and other illnesses, like mono, from simply sharing beverages with others. For this season, at least, try to keep to your own drinks and food and avoid sharing. Keep hand sanitizer or baby wipes nearby, and make sure to thoroughly wash your hands as frequently as possible. While these seem like obvious precautions, it is easy to forget to take them in the hustle and bustle of college life.

Her Campus at Florida State University.